Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

IDE For Silverstripe

Go to End

19 Posts   11741 Views

Mo

Community Member, 541 Posts

28 May 2009 at 7:22am

I see this has been brought up before, but I thought I would start a new topic, as the rest seem to be archived.

I have been using Aptana as my main IDE for a little while, but since its most recent update, it seems to work brilliantly as a Silverstripe IDE.

I don't know what happened, but since I installed the latest update, if I setup a new silverstripe project as a php project, I get full code completion for sapphire classes, as well as documented popups for any class I try to call, including details of expectable variables. Not to mention full class and function lists and loads of other stuff you would get in a high end IDE like Microsofts Visual Studio.

I am getting the same with both Aptana on my Mac and my Linux box. I have tried other software to develop for silverstripe, but I am really rocking Aptana! I would recommend it for anyone looking to develop Silverstripe.

I will just post the link, then stop pimping the thing, honest :). http://aptana.com/

Cheers,

Mo

bummzack

Community Member, 904 Posts

28 May 2009 at 9:10am

Yeah, I used to use Aptana too. Now I just use eclipse with PDT (http://www.eclipse.org/pdt/). Offers code-completion and other nice stuff too.
There are some nice plugins out there, like subclipse, a SVN plugin for eclipse (works in aptana too, since aptana is eclipse based).

Sometimes eclipse/aptana acts very sluggish and seems bloated, but most of the time it works fine.

Nivanka

Community Member, 400 Posts

28 May 2009 at 2:24pm

Usually I dont use much IDEs. But there is something which I prefer called Komodo Edit. Thats a good IDE specially for Ubuntu users.

http://www.activestate.com/komodo_edit/

Cem

Community Member, 31 Posts

28 May 2009 at 2:52pm

Hi Mo,
I still had aptana installed but rarely used it due to it being massive.
After firing it up again and update it(as your suggestion), it automatically recognized the sapphire classes and code completion is now working.
Really handy!

kcd

Community Member, 54 Posts

24 September 2010 at 2:55pm

If you stumbled on this like I have try starting here:

http://doc.silverstripe.org/tools

swaiba

Forum Moderator, 1899 Posts

24 September 2010 at 10:10pm

Hi,

I tend to stay using TextPad (which is also a far superior SQL client for Mysql than phpmyadmin btw). With a couple of macros programmed in, syntax files set-up and workspaces defined it works fine.

I do miss Visual Studio greatly (I used to be a c/c++ and c# programmer) as it did code completion, intellesense and debugging really well (2010 even has a historical debugger now!). I have tried...

eclipse
-difficult to setup for debugging
-terribly slow
-strange issue with refreshing files changed outside of the editor

I just tried aptana (again) and it error installing any php development tools, so no code completion etc.

Lastly I have installed netbeans again to give it another go... and I am stumped what to place in the new php project with existing sources for the index.php file (required for debugging)... what do you put? (pic attached)

Barry

Attached Files
Invader_Zim

Community Member, 141 Posts

24 September 2010 at 11:33pm

@swaiba

I usually put it like my screenshot (when NetBeans doesn't this for me automagically).
Well and it works quite fine.

Cheers,
Christian

Attached Files
ChubChub

Community Member, 16 Posts

25 September 2010 at 1:27am

Netbeans with a PHP flavor is the best I've found - used to be an eclipse/aptana guy. Netbeans seems to do what I need and seems "cleaner". I've enjoyed it - made a project, blocked out the assets and silverstripe-cache folder from the project - walla works great.

Go to Top