Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Preventing duplicate pages - /mypage and /mypage/

Go to End

8 Posts   2812 Views

w1

Community Member, 21 Posts

5 June 2009 at 3:28pm

Edited: 08/06/2009 8:36am

www.mysite.com/mypage and www.mysite.com/mypage/

If you check your silverstripe site, you will find that most likely you can browse to either and they both will be seen

How can that be prevented - so just the /mypage/ works - it is becoming an a duplicated content with google. Webmaster tools tell us that each page has the same title - description etc, which is frowned upon and not good seo

Is there a solution to prevent possibility of www.mysite.com/mypage being viewed and producing a 404 error

cheers
Peter

w1

9 June 2009 at 3:16pm

Ok - no response

New question then

What sitemap.xml generator are people using? I may be able to resolve the issue by using a different generator
If someone from silverstripe could reply that would be good - each of the file names end with / in http://silverstripe.org/sitemap.xml

cheers
Peter

Mo

Community Member, 541 Posts

10 June 2009 at 3:05am

A properly generated sitemap should get rid of your issue.

What version of SIlverstripe are you using? There is a googlesitemap module available in the Silverstripe svn, and it is also bundled with 2.3.1.

Hope that helps,

Mo

bummzack

Community Member, 904 Posts

10 June 2009 at 7:02pm

Regarding your original question.
You could either redirect URLs without trailing slash to the one with slash (put this in your .htaccess):

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !/$
RewriteRule .* %{REQUEST_URI}/ [R=301,NC,L]

RewriteRule .* sapphire/main.php?url=%1&%{QUERY_STRING} [L]

.. or you could only accept URLs with a trailing slash (the following code only redirects URLs with a trailing slash to SilverStripe. All others are up to the webserver to handle and will usually result in a 404 error):

RewriteRule ^(.*/)?$ sapphire/main.php?url=%1&%{QUERY_STRING} [L]

Mo

Community Member, 541 Posts

10 June 2009 at 8:43pm

I don't know if redirecting to a 404 would be wise, someone may type your URL from memory, but forget the last slash. In that situation the user would get a page not found and not understand why.

Web Designer Perth

Community Member, 49 Posts

29 June 2009 at 3:20pm

Sitemap generator: http://www.xml-sitemaps.com/

w1

29 June 2009 at 4:02pm

Thanks - that is what I was using. I have a solution from them - I will share as follows:

this worked:
In Do not parse URLs: I added
.*mypage$

so only indexes /mypage/ rather than both /mypage/ and /mypage

cheers
Peter

w1

29 June 2009 at 4:44pm

and we found out what the cause of the xml sitemap generating those duplicated pages.

The sitemap page (mysite/code/SiteMap.php) had been customised to produce some xml metadata for DigitalNZ to trawl content pages and was missing a trailing slash

Another SS lesson learned :-(

cheers
Peter