Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Completely Delete a Member

Go to End

8 Posts   3486 Views

Gargo

Community Member, 5 Posts

9 June 2009 at 6:33am

Hy there

I'm asking myself how i can completely delete a Member. If i remove a Member in the Security Group of the CMS it is only removed from the Group but the Member itself still exists.
I plan to build a sort of social networking site and if a Member wish to delete himself (or i wish to delete a member) this should not be a problem at all.

How can i do this (basic) task in SilverStripe?

bummzack

Community Member, 904 Posts

9 June 2009 at 8:09am

Hi Gargo

You could always use a SQL Query to delete the dataset you want. Something like this:

$query = new SQLQuery('*', array('Member'), 'ID = ' . $MemberId);
$query->delete = true;
$query->execute();

Where $MemberId is your Member-ID. For further information about the SQLQuery Class, read here: http://doc.silverstripe.com/doku.php?id=sqlquery

Gargo

9 June 2009 at 9:12am

thank you for your reply.

seems to be a bad solution cause in this case relations aren't handled correctly. or did i miss something?
furthermore i'm looking for a way to delete Members in the CMS (as easy as i can add them).

maybe the delete() Method on the Member object would do it?

a member based administration interface like "Security" would be nice.

bummzack

Community Member, 904 Posts

9 June 2009 at 10:31am

I'm not sure where the Member is referenced elsewhere. AFAIK only groups are being referenced for permissions, and since you're already removing the member from the group this shouldn't be too much of a problem. I could be wrong though.
Maybe you can extend/modify the SecurityAdmin class to fit your needs?

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

9 June 2009 at 5:45pm

You can call destory() on any object which I think will handle relations etc.

Gargo

9 June 2009 at 6:14pm

Shouldn't this feature get it's way into the standard implementation of silverstripe?
I think this is a basic administration task which shouldn't be made by each one itself.

Gargo

15 June 2009 at 3:19am

I just tried it out to manage the Member deletion with a ModelAdmin implementation.
Relations are ignored. For example the Records in the Group_Members Table will be keept alive ...
Maybe i have to decorate the onBeforeDelete Function by myself ...

klikhier

Community Member, 150 Posts

21 September 2011 at 9:48pm

Added $member->destroy(); to /cms/code/MemberTableField.php @ line 246 to fix this issue in SilverStripe 2.4.5.