Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Migrating from Joomla 1.0..

Go to End

3 Posts   1546 Views

charliechaplin1984

Community Member, 2 Posts

11 June 2009 at 5:25pm

Edited: 12/08/2011 4:56am

Hey I have a small website - Free Background Check Information, and I am currently surfing around for an alternative content management system, Just got a lot of frustrations with joomla.. it all basically started when i tried to upgrade the CMS, it screwed up my content and modules..

anyway, I was hoping to get some info about migrating to SS

Do i need to redo all my layouts and formatting if i migrate?

Is there a guide or faqs page on this?

Are there any similar modules and add-ons for SS, like login/banners/rss/automailers/etc.?

Not really that savvy with sql, coz i read on another post about migrating using SQL to transfer stuff..

any feedback on migration would help.. thanks..

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

11 June 2009 at 7:07pm

Yes you will need to redo all your layouts - well at least convert them to SilverStripe templates and page types.

As for migrating content - the best way is to use SQL to extract the values from your old DB and reimport them into the SS Database. I have never had the pleasure of converting an existing site across - If its a simple site then you might find it easier to copy and paste content manually.

SS provides login/rss abilities out of the box and banners, automailers are fairly easy to custom build. To start I suggest you work through the tutorials - http://doc.silverstripe.com/doku.php?id=tutorials

charliechaplin1984

Community Member, 2 Posts

15 June 2009 at 1:27pm

Thanks for the advice willr, i'll take the time to look at the tutorials, i just want a cms that's easy to migrate to, less the headaches.. SS is definitely on my list..