Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Does 2.3.0 work?

Go to End

7 Posts   1175 Views

Gravitational FX

Community Member, 22 Posts

22 June 2009 at 11:26am

I like the idea of SS, however, after installing 2.3.0 onto my system..

... I cannot get the newsletter module to work
..the Gallery module doesn't seem to have a place where I can upload files or select them
the google analytics module doesn't work.

Is it just my system or is anybody out there developing customer websites with these modules that are actually working?

Hamish

Community Member, 712 Posts

22 June 2009 at 2:28pm

Inevitably there will be a delay between when a version is released and when all the modules are compatible.

You could raise a ticket in the bug tracker, so that the module maintainer can let you know when it is 100% compatible. In the meantime, what errors are you getting?

Sam

Administrator, 690 Posts

22 June 2009 at 3:04pm

Hi there,

2.3.0 is quite old now; have you considered upgrading to 2.3.2?

I believe all of the modules that you have listed are in the "unsupported modules" section of the site, so it's possible that there are some incompatibilities with 2.3.x.

For the Gallery, I believe that UncleCheese has a better gallery module that you might want to use.
For google analytics, it might be easier to insert the tracking code into the template yourself.

Hamish

Community Member, 712 Posts

22 June 2009 at 3:06pm

(oops, misread the version)

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

22 June 2009 at 5:56pm

If you want to use newsletter with 2.3 I believe we have it working (on this site infact) by using the trunk version. You can download a recent snapshot of trunk here

Gravitational FX

Community Member, 22 Posts

23 June 2009 at 10:28am

Hi willr

Thanks for taking the time to reply - I really like the CMS but getting really frustrated being a newbie :-o

I dropped the schema, created a new one and installed SS 2.3.2
Downloaded the trunk, but again it's confusing how to install it, even from the read me file.

The .gz file contains the folder structure "modules\newsletter\trunk\......"
The readme says to extract the newsletter folder to the root of the CMS and do a dev/build.

I did that, so now in my root I have the "newsletter\trunk\...." folder and all files underneath (basically dropped the modules folder).
But dev/build does nothing. No tables updated or inserted.

So I played around and removed the "trunk" folder copying everything into the "newsletter" folder.
Now I have from the root "\newsletter\...\code and \css etc"

Can I ask;
Why include the "modules" and the "trunk" folder in the archive when it's not to be used when extracting?

Or, the read me file should be updated to say
Note: archive file has the folder structure "\modules\newsletter\trunk\...." You only need to extract the trunk folder and below.
1. extract the trunk folder and files contained within it, from the archive, to the SilverStripe root
2. rename "trunk" folder to "newsletter"
3. run /dev/build

I would think that all archives should be ready to roll. i.e. ready to extract direct to the root without any renaming of folders or changing or heirarchy.

This would make things a lot simpler for everybody.

Many thanks again for the help - I am now the proud owner of the Newsletter module and slightly less frustrated :-)

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

23 June 2009 at 10:37am

Can I ask; Why include the "modules" and the "trunk" folder in the archive when it's not to be used when extracting?

This a limitation of the automatic zip generation we have with trac, the stable / final releases should be packaged correctly.