Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Non-breaking spaces in editor

Go to End

6 Posts   1291 Views

redactuk

Community Member, 117 Posts

26 July 2009 at 2:01am

I'm using the latest version 2.3.2 and I'm sure this has only started happening, but when I edit content via the admin area I keep getting lots of non-breaking spaces included. It doesn't seem to happen as you type a sentence to start with, but if you later go back in and edit it that's when it seems to be happening. I first noticed when some sentences were no wrapping on site pages themselves as I would expect them to, and then when viewing HTML for a content area realised that this was due to lots of non-breakign spaces that seemed to have been added as I edited the content. Maybe i'm being thick here but is this something I can control maybe via some editor settings?

thanks

steve_nyhof

Community Member, 224 Posts

5 December 2009 at 12:26pm

Edited: 05/12/2009 12:27pm

I'm having the same issue, but with the javascript I add.

I have included the code in the LeftAndMain.php file to include javascript. My html stays fine, but the javascript added to the page keeps seporating - I think maybe on saving, closing the editor window.

var x = 1
var z = 2

----

var x = 1

var z = 2

---- later...

var x = 1

(space)
(space)
(space)
(space)
(space)

var z = 2

Any ideas to fix this issue?
Thank you,
Steve

dalesaurus

Community Member, 283 Posts

5 December 2009 at 1:32pm

I've had this happen and I blamed our frienemy TinyMCE coupled with the HTMLText the encodes/decodes text. I wasn't able to fix it without something hacky like onBeforeWrite() changes. Although perhaps this TinyMCE setting would help?

http://wiki.moxiecode.com/index.php/TinyMCE:Configuration/remove_trailing_nbsp

You can change settings with:
http://doc.silverstripe.org/doku.php?id=htmleditorconfig

steve_nyhof

5 December 2009 at 5:27pm

Thank you.

I tried some of the things mentioned here http://wiki.moxiecode.com/index.php/TinyMCE:Configuration/remove_trailing_nbsp , but nothing seemed to change.

This is mostly over my head. I really want to find a way to add a script like a paypal button script or other script without having to open the editor. Just click a button like adding an image, click on the screen where I want the form, etc. and add my code - click.

I have seen some of this talked about in the TM forums but I will need someone at some point if I really need to implement this.

Right now, either my connection is slow, of my script is causing the CMS to really crunch - just to open, or scroll.

And of course still like to see the script stop adding spaces.

steve_nyhof

5 December 2009 at 5:30pm

Another thought along these lines. Is there a way to add a <script> that includes my script? Like a php include in the page?

steve_nyhof

6 December 2009 at 7:31am

I am working on another work around. I did find that if I removed all returns in the code it is fine - just not very readable