Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Need help with recaptcha Instalation

Go to End

6 Posts   3430 Views

Hello_electro

Community Member, 80 Posts

11 August 2009 at 12:39pm

Maybe I am an idiot, i will admit it. But i am completely lost as to how to install recaptcha. Some kind of walkthrough tutorial in the module section would be nice.

I know I have to update certain files, but even those instructions are confusing at best. If anyone who got recaptcha to work can please take a few moments to add a small tutorial, i know I would not be the only grateful one.

Also, I know people are having issue with mollum, i as well, but which spam filter do you all prefer most and why? Just curious to your thoughts!

DigoART

Community Member, 13 Posts

11 August 2009 at 8:43pm

Actual. Please help !

bdgraphics

Community Member, 5 Posts

9 December 2009 at 3:30am

Hi guys,

I installed recaptcha on my local Dev using these steps, so this may help you.

NOTE: there are some intermediate steps that may or may not effect other parts of your site, so it is best to test this first. Also, make sure you have the appropriate CMS version. I believe the minimum is 2.3.2.

1. Download and install from Modules: SpamProtector

1b. extract or copy the folder "spamprotector" into your CMS root. You may need to rename the folder slightly by taking off the version number.

1c. rebuild the database

2. Download and install from Modules: ReCaptcha

2b. extract or copy the folder "recaptcha" into your CMS root. You may need to rename the folder slightly by taking off the version number.

2c. rebuild the database

3. For the firefox fix, add a closing tag for the input HTML (around line 171) in file: recaptcha/code/RecaptchaField.php

3b. For the FF fix, remove the xml declaration at the top of the templates, page.ss and make sure it is declaring xhtml: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

4. Go to http://recaptcha.net/ and log in OR sign up for a new account.
4b. Create keys for your site's domain.

4c. Insert the code for the keys into the ReCaptcha _config file. i.e.
RecaptchaField::$public_api_key = '<your public key>';
RecaptchaField::$private_api_key = '<your private key>';

5a. In your mysite _config file, add the following line:
SpamProtectorManager::set_spam_protector('RecaptchaProtector');

5b. Visit the page where your form is and ?flush=1. You should see the working recaptcha field amongst the default form.

Hope this has helped.

g4m3c4ck

Community Member, 11 Posts

9 December 2009 at 12:46pm

Thanks that helped me a lot too! However, I can not get FF or chrome to see the captcha unless I use ?flush=1.

It shows up t in IE but the formatting is all messed up. I have already added the / to close the html tag.

I guess that is a css issue but maybe not..... I attached an screen shot. It appears this way in all browsers.

Attached Files
bdgraphics

Community Member, 5 Posts

10 December 2009 at 3:33pm

Edited: 10/12/2009 3:35pm

I'd say this is more likely a CSS issue.

The recaptcha form adds its own embedded styles which format the majority of the table. You are receiving this styling, so I'd say there is an overiding factor.

I'd start debugging/disabling CSS style sheets as a test and see what is effecting your table.

Also, check your doc-types being declared. When I was having issues with FF, it is because the wrong doc-type throws an error for the page, even though the source HTML is available. IE basically ignores this error and continues to render.

yurigoul

Community Member, 203 Posts

7 April 2010 at 4:37am

Edited: 07/04/2010 7:36am

Can anyone confirm that recaptcha and spamprotector are 2.4 ready?

And if not did anyone manage to implement recaptcha without these modules?

RE-EDIT: got it to work, there is something missing from the above explanation:

You also need to insert a certain code into your form.

In my original ContactPage it was like this:

return new Form($this, 'ContactForm', $fields, $actions, $validator);

I changed it to this:

$form = new Form($this, 'ContactForm', $fields, $actions, $validator);

$protector = SpamProtectorManager::update_form($form, 'Comments'); // to make the recaptcha work with your form

return $form;

It does not only appear, it also works on my site