Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

css and html editor

Go to End

5 Posts   1481 Views

Terry Apodaca

Community Member, 112 Posts

12 August 2009 at 2:22am

I've looked a couple times and maybe I missed this, but does SS not have a template (html/css) editor built in to the CMS or as a module like wordpress or expression engine does?

bummzack

Community Member, 904 Posts

12 August 2009 at 3:09am

Hi
Could you clarify what you mean by that? Or maybe post a link to these modules you speak of?
SilverStripe does have a WYSIWYG Editor, but I'm not sure if it's what you are talking about..

Terry Apodaca

12 August 2009 at 6:13am

ok, lets see if I can explain this a little better.

WordPress is a lot like SilverStripe in that they both have a main templating system. You can then create or reuse Themes for your site layout. The difference in the two is that WP has a section inside the CMS where you can actually modify your theme's code. It has an internal editor where you can physically edit the html and/or css and save it. Only to the theme files though, in case you want to add a widget to the sidebar, etc. You can see a listing of all the files that make up the theme, and edit them.

Terry Apodaca

12 August 2009 at 6:17am

Here's a screenshot of their CMS where they can edit their theme from right there inside the browser.

Attached Files
bummzack

Community Member, 904 Posts

12 August 2009 at 7:13am

Ah. I see what you mean.
I'm quite sure there isn't such a thing for SilverStripe. It should be possible to write such a module, but I doubt the usefulness. Editing CSS/HTML is usually much more comfortable in a designated editor. And with a SilverStripe site, you usually also have access to the files (FTP) which might not be the case with a Wordpress installation. For content that's changing a lot, one can build editing capabilities inside the CMS without messing with the template files.

For people who want full site administration/modification possibilities via web-browser, such a module could be a useful thing though :-)