Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Brand new to Silverstripe

Go to End

4 Posts   1498 Views

squiddon

Community Member, 2 Posts

20 August 2009 at 2:30am

Hi guys,

I'm a Silverstripe n00b, and I'm breaking off from my current company to become a freelance developer. I'm massively impressed by Silverstripe and wondering what the licensing options are with the CMS? I know it's open source but I'd rather know where I stood using it before selling my services to clients.

Cheers,
Nick

dhensby

Community Member, 253 Posts

20 August 2009 at 4:19am

Hi Squiddon,

Exciting news to hear you are breaking into the freelance world! Good luck, it can be difficult.

Silverstripe's licence is very liberal: http://www.silverstripe.org/bsd-license/

Your not allowed to sell SS (as far as i know) but you sell your service to implement it, etc as well as the modifications and custom code you make.

Basically, the core of SS is open source, but you are not obliged to release any work you do on your custom sites. Meaning your intellectual property is protected.

Digging through the rest of the SilverStripe site will give you the answers you need.

squiddon

Community Member, 2 Posts

21 August 2009 at 8:21pm

Excellent, thanks for the info Pigeon, I was hoping that would be the answer!

chiefworker

Community Member, 6 Posts

27 August 2009 at 6:10pm

and important to note that most other OS CMS's (including Drupal) are on GNU GPL licence which is quite different from BSD (that SS is on). In particular since you are setting out to do work for others (commercial entities maybe) - you may find that a BSD licence is more appropriate. Worth having a read of this http://zerias.blogspot.com/2008/01/gpl-and-bsd-impact.html - hopefully the key difference from doing commercial work with SS from a corporate standpoint will be clear.

By the way - welcome to the world of "e-lancers" and all the best for your biz

cheers