Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Searching binary documents

Go to End

4 Posts   1380 Views

Junglefish

Community Member, 109 Posts

20 August 2009 at 7:46pm

Having already recommended to the organisation I work for that we adopt SilverStripe to manage our intranet, I discover that, contrary to what I initially believed, searching binary documents (PDFs, DOCs) is not a feature in SS.

However, it is a key requirement of our intranet project.

I am sure that I can't be the first person with this requirement and that one of you clever fellas out there has had to crack this problem before. So, can anyone give me some advice?

Junglefish

Community Member, 109 Posts

22 August 2009 at 2:22am

^^ Anyone? ^^

dhensby

Community Member, 253 Posts

22 August 2009 at 3:08am

Hi,

It isn't a standard feature in SS. I havent come across anyone that has done this before. You would probably have to create an extension yourself.

Keep searching though and you might find something.

bummzack

Community Member, 904 Posts

22 August 2009 at 9:42am

Searching binary documents is not a common use-case for a website or CMS like SilverStripe. What you could use is the Lucene Search implementation of the Zend Framework: http://framework.zend.com/manual/en/zend.search.lucene.html
It's already able to index Office 2007 and HTML documents, and apparently some people also successfully indexed PDF documents using the Zend Lucene implementation.

This doesn't stop you from using SilverStripe though. You should be able to include the needed parts of the Zend Framework and build wrapper functions in SilverStripe to fit your needs.