Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

one page website maintenance

Go to End

5 Posts   1611 Views

Community Member, 1 Post

21 August 2009 at 7:19am

Hi all,

I am promoting a single page which deals with Best cricket bats.

However I am very new to webtechnology and CMS. That is reason I am not sure if I should go for any CMS.
Can anybody suggest me if small websites should go for a CMS or it should run stand alone?

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Community Member, 6 Posts

25 August 2009 at 11:41pm

Edited: 25/08/2009 11:42pm

Hi Marc

I think using a CMS is a no-brainer - 1 page or 1000's of pages. I see you are already using Wordpress - which is good in the sense you have started with a CMS. Whether you need to consider SS or not depends on where your 1 page site needs to go. If it is just a social thing - in my opinion - Wordpress or Drupal will do fine.

However if you are looking to push the boundaries and are trying to support multiple authors, multiple content types. mashup stuff - like maps, videos, image, want span protection, a robust discussion forum (like the one here) + other Web 2.0 stuff, then perhaps you should consider something like SS.

It also depends on whether you wish to become an Object Oriented architect and a PHP programmer yourself or whether you are looking to get things develop.

My sites and - former SS latter Drupal.

Hope this helps

Community Member, 145 Posts

26 August 2009 at 1:38am

Chiefworker.. Sorry to say after your well thoughout response, this looks like a spam post that has been hitting the SS forums lately. So this thread will probably get deleted in 3... 2... 1...

Community Member, 283 Posts

26 August 2009 at 6:49am

@Chiefworker, don't feel bad; I fell trap to one of these earlier too. Perhaps we should request a Spam button for such blatant link baiting posts. Leaving the posts up only rewards their efforts. Drupal's forums moves such users to a Spam category, but leaves the content indexed (which I think is silly).

Community Member, 6 Posts

27 August 2009 at 5:55pm

Well, well - having lost all my hair ! I should have see that - actually trapping this kind of "spam" (in a forum) is pretty challenging - whatever one does - one will have to trade off false negatives (genuine question) against false positives (spam).

I am glad that I digitised a bit of atoms anyway :-)