Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

one page website maintenance

Go to End

5 Posts   2012 Views

mar67blaker

Community Member, 1 Post

21 August 2009 at 7:19am

Hi all,

I am promoting a single page which deals with Best cricket bats.

However I am very new to webtechnology and CMS. That is reason I am not sure if I should go for any CMS.
Can anybody suggest me if small websites should go for a CMS or it should run stand alone?

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Mark.

chiefworker

Community Member, 6 Posts

25 August 2009 at 11:41pm

Edited: 25/08/2009 11:42pm

Hi Marc

I think using a CMS is a no-brainer - 1 page or 1000's of pages. I see you are already using Wordpress - which is good in the sense you have started with a CMS. Whether you need to consider SS or not depends on where your 1 page site needs to go. If it is just a social thing - in my opinion - Wordpress or Drupal will do fine.

However if you are looking to push the boundaries and are trying to support multiple authors, multiple content types. mashup stuff - like maps, videos, image, want span protection, a robust discussion forum (like the one here) + other Web 2.0 stuff, then perhaps you should consider something like SS.

It also depends on whether you wish to become an Object Oriented architect and a PHP programmer yourself or whether you are looking to get things develop.

My sites www.prashanta.com and www.thebigidea.co.nz - former SS latter Drupal.

Hope this helps

cheers

AdamJ

Community Member, 145 Posts

26 August 2009 at 1:38am

Chiefworker.. Sorry to say after your well thoughout response, this looks like a spam post that has been hitting the SS forums lately. So this thread will probably get deleted in 3... 2... 1...

dalesaurus

Community Member, 283 Posts

26 August 2009 at 6:49am

@Chiefworker, don't feel bad; I fell trap to one of these earlier too. Perhaps we should request a Spam button for such blatant link baiting posts. Leaving the posts up only rewards their efforts. Drupal's forums moves such users to a Spam category, but leaves the content indexed (which I think is silly).

chiefworker

Community Member, 6 Posts

27 August 2009 at 5:55pm

Well, well - having lost all my hair ! I should have see that - actually trapping this kind of "spam" (in a forum) is pretty challenging - whatever one does - one will have to trade off false negatives (genuine question) against false positives (spam).

I am glad that I digitised a bit of atoms anyway :-)

cheers