Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Quick question from a newbie

Go to End

9 Posts   2999 Views

Alberts2

Community Member, 1 Post

23 August 2009 at 1:08am

Hi Guys and Girls,
I'm new here and I am also new to SilverStripe, although I have a WordPress site which is focused on muscle gaining secrets.
What I would like to ask to all you SilverStripe experts out there, - what are the relative merits of SilverStripe in comparison with WordPress, and what would you say the major advantages of using SilverStripe would be?
Any and all feedback would be welcomed, and thanks for helping a newbie out, :)
Alberts

baba-papa

Community Member, 279 Posts

23 August 2009 at 8:30am

WordPress is for children an silverstripe is for big boys.

bummzack

Community Member, 904 Posts

23 August 2009 at 11:58am

I can't give you a funded answer to your question, since I never really used WordPress for a Site. As far as I know, WordPress started as a blogging software and has grown a lot in functionality with modules (or plugins?). If you're comfortable with WordPress and it covers all your needs, I suggest you stick with it.

As for SilverStripe: I for one like the clean MVC design, the ease of use of the CMS, and the template Engine that easily allows output of site content in different formats (RSS, HTML, etc.)... Just to name a few.

baba-papa

Community Member, 279 Posts

23 August 2009 at 7:31pm

I´m not a good web developer yet but Silverstripe had a solution for all my problems. All the code is accessable and well documented as long as you have some knowledge of OOP, PHP and SQL.
I worked with ExpressionEngine before. It is strong and quick as long as your demands fit it´s capability. But customers have always their own ideas how their site has to look like and what functionality it sould have. I ran in too many problems with ExpressionEngine and so I switched to SilverStripe.

inspriatin01

Community Member, 2 Posts

1 October 2009 at 11:24am

I'm working on a new site on infrared sauna using Wordpress too and I really love it, easy to use and very efficient with all the plugins that we can install. But I might use Silverstripe to build another site in future seeing such good review on Silverstripe here.

Hamish

Community Member, 712 Posts

1 October 2009 at 12:49pm

Edited: 01/10/2009 12:49pm

don't feed the spambot.

Mo

Community Member, 541 Posts

2 October 2009 at 1:42am

I used to use Wordpress, Its great for blogging and small websites, but I was starting to find it very restrictive, and building themes was very hacky.

The MVC layout of Silverstripe means that most of the logic is separate from the templates, which in turn makes them way easier to work on.

I also love the fact you can have multiple templates, with Wordpress, having say, a template for the homepage, a standard page template and say a couple mre templates for different page types is a complete nightmare to do.

Also Silverstripe supports saving to draft, Publication requests (when using the workflow module) and you can quite easily restrict members ability to modify the site.

My only gripe with Silverstripe, non hierarchical URL's!!!

Mo

Taffy

Community Member, 119 Posts

6 October 2009 at 3:25am

As Hamish pointed out Alberts2,inspriatin01 and ashiyanayoga are SPAM

Go to Top