Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Lists dont show bulletts or numbers

Go to End

7 Posts   1696 Views

Ronin

Community Member, 50 Posts

26 August 2009 at 10:22am

I cannot get the bullet icon or numbers to appear on the page even though they are visible in the CMS itself when creating the information. Has anyone had a similar experience? Is this a CSS problem?

Help would be appreciated.

JoshuaLewis

Community Member, 81 Posts

26 August 2009 at 11:14am

Yes this is most likely being caused by the CSS, you will have to find the CSS files for your theme and locate the declaration that is responsible to change it.

Firebug, a plugin for firefox, can help but all of the major browsers have included something similar in their recent releases.

http://doc.silverstripe.org/doku.php?id=themes:developing#css_files

Ronin

27 August 2009 at 9:24am

I take it that this means that bullets should appear as shown in the CMS when I am creating them? I have made a number of changes on the CSS side of things and can understand that this could be the cause of my problems. However I went back to the version of SS that I used for working through all the tutorials and found that the problem still appeared there even though I hadn't started modifying the CSS at that stage.

JoshuaLewis

27 August 2009 at 2:00pm

Yes, unless you've changed the styles called by the CMS WYSIWYG editor the bullets are normal.

The editor doesn't directly save presentation information (bullets, font-size, color etc.) but instead just says what your content is (list, paragraph, link, header, etc.). Then, when the content is displayed, it's context provides rules that say how the different pieces should look. In the CMS those rules say to place bullets and numbers by list items, in the theme used for the front end of your site those rules probably say to not show bullets or numbers.

Have you checked the page source at the front end of your site to make sure the HTML for the list is correct?
What theme are you using?

Ronin

29 August 2009 at 6:45pm

I am using a theme that I have developed myself based originally on the theme used in the tutorials. It is now heavily modified. When you say "Have you checked the page source at the front end of your site" what exactly are you referring to, where should I look.

JoshuaLewis

31 August 2009 at 2:15pm

In the main menu bar of your browser got to View->Page Source, this will show you the HTML for the page you are viewing. It's a good idea to check this as you develop your template to make sure that things are being output by Silverstripe the way you expect.

You can also use a tool like the firebug plugin for Firefox to inspect the page source.

Ronin

31 August 2009 at 10:41pm

[CLOSED] Thanks for your help. I have now got the bullets working by making the necessary changes to the appropriate CSS file. I had assumed that if they showed as bullets or numbers in the CMS then they would appear as such on the actual page. Once I specified exactly what I wanted in the CSS file it worked fine.