Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

How do I submit patches

Go to End

6 Posts   1150 Views

craesh

Community Member, 25 Posts

28 August 2009 at 11:43pm

Hi!

I developed some sites with Silverstripe and had to patch some bugs to make them work. Once I submited a patch for an already opened ticket, once I opened a ticket by myself and posted the appropriate patch.

See here for both tickets:
http://open.silverstripe.com/ticket/4442
http://open.silverstripe.com/ticket/4502

That was about 1-2 weeks ago, but there were no replies from the main developers. I don't know if they have been noticed, reviewed, accepted or even already applied to trunk. Maybe I missed something and no one knows that there are new patches awaiting some review. So how should I do that? Should I assign them to myself? Should I set the status to 'inprogress'?

Thanks!
craesh

Juanitou

Community Member, 323 Posts

29 August 2009 at 5:32am

I have always got replies from developers when using Trac. I think you should add a milestone (2.3.3 or 2.4), since your tickets are not being displayed in the Roadmap because of it. Also, bugs are bugs, even if you submit a patch for it. Maybe you'll get more attention by tagging your tickets as defects.

My two cents,
Juan

craesh

Community Member, 25 Posts

29 August 2009 at 6:19am

Hi Juan!

Thanks. Lets see if it works... I've added 2.4.0 alpha as milestone for both. Isn't there a 2.3.4 planed? I don't feel 2.3.3 is as stable as I expected it to be (I've been facing 2 severe bugs in a few weeks developing sites for it), so I'd rather go and hunt some bugs (-> new revision) instead of adding features (-> new minor version). But that's another topic...

Greetings!
craesh

ajshort

Community Member, 244 Posts

29 August 2009 at 11:27am

On the contrary, you should NOT add a milestone to the tickets - this is normally left up to the core developers to decide (unless you are sure that the ticket is suitable for inclusion in a specific release). Also, if it's a patch you should NOT tag it as a defect - leave it as a patch. Otherwise it won't show up in the patches report. However, tickets often do take a while to get looked at, especially since one of the core developers is currently away.

Finally, you should probably follow existing coding standards, as none of your patches do and its a good idea to keep it consistent.

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

29 August 2009 at 7:19pm

Edited: 29/08/2009 7:19pm

That was about 1-2 weeks ago, but there were no replies from the main developers. I don't know if they have been noticed, reviewed, accepted or even already applied to trunk. Maybe I missed something and no one knows that there are new patches awaiting some review. So how should I do that? Should I assign them to myself? Should I set the status to 'inprogress'?

We normally try and go through the tickets at soon as we can but during busy times we have 500+ open tickets so we cannot get through all of them weekly. If its been noticed or reviewed or applied to trunk then we will comment on the ticket. If your ticket has no comments or changes then it is likely we have not looked at the ticket. Also enhancements (like your tickets) are less of a priority for us to get into trunk then major defects.

Do not set them to inprogress as that would mean that this ticket is in progress from a core dev.

Juanitou

Community Member, 323 Posts

30 August 2009 at 2:13am

Hi!

Thanks ajshort for explaining the guidelines, and Will for explaining how difficult is to cope with all those tickets.

Best regards,
Juan