Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Front End Users - How?

Go to End

5 Posts   1616 Views

pinkp

Community Member, 182 Posts

1 September 2009 at 10:25am

Edited: 01/09/2009 9:42pm

OK, I've read loads of docs all over the place and havn't come across how, or if the CMS works for front end users....

Maybe I'm missing something but all I want to know is how SilverStripe works for my client.
I've set up a user group and changed their permissions to only edit pages (not security admin etc.)
But seeing the back end is a bit of an overkill for what I had in mind... is this the only option?

Is it possible to lets say have the "home" page with some text, and an image, which after logging in they can edit at the front end with the TinyMCE editor or something... and if so what do I need to make this happen.

Sorry if this is already documented somewhere but Im struggling to find it.

Thanks!!

Hamish

Community Member, 712 Posts

1 September 2009 at 4:22pm

Edited: 01/09/2009 4:24pm

Nope, that's what the CMS is for :)

You can remove the options/tabs/fields from the CMS if you don't want them to see it, and just leave them with what you want.

For example, for sites that don't have page comments, you might have this in your _config.php:

CMSMenu::remove_menu_item('CommentAdmin');

I seem to recall a feature request for a 'quick page edit' sort of tool, but I don't think anyone has built it yet (perhaps have a look at the experimental Wiki module for ideas here). If you build it, I'm sure others will be interested.

pinkp

1 September 2009 at 9:40pm

OK thanks for the info! :)

I'll give ur example a shot, seeing as I don't need comments that is something I will want to change.

Previously I was using a newsmanager ext. in MODx to do this kind of thing it would be a very valuable tool, I don't think I have the skills to build my own... maybe someone else would be interested.

It would mean that a new button would appear for logged in users (with the correct permissions) when viewing the front end. Such as "Edit Page" on the home page this would then open a form to edit the specified fields using TinyMCE and lightbox or somthing. Click "Save" and its done. I suppose this is very similar to the CMS anyway... but the point would be to make it very very simple for the client and they dont need to get to grips with the UI of the CMS. I know a lot of users would find this beneficial.

Thanks!

dalesaurus

Community Member, 283 Posts

2 September 2009 at 3:47am

@pinkpoliceman - Silverstripe isn't exactly designed to be a WYSIWYG frontend as you describe. The real power here is a layered and extensible backend based on the Sapphire framework.

If you don't want to develop such functionality (I know some folks have done it in SS) you may want to evaluate other software that will support users with simple needs out-of-the-box. I would recommend WebGUI offhand. The site is a bit overwhelming, but just check out the demo:

http://www.webgui.org/learn

pinkp

2 September 2009 at 9:25pm

Thanks dalesaurus, I will check it out, but I'm still guna stick with SilverStripe, I haven't delved far enough into yet and I'm keen to take it further. Thanks for the quick replies.