Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

[SOLVED] INNER JOIN problem with syntax

Go to End

6 Posts   4693 Views

Harley

Community Member, 165 Posts

4 September 2009 at 11:14am

Edited: 06/09/2009 5:23am

Hello all,

I wondered if someone can help me out here. I am trying to use this join to retrieve posts of a particular forum I have created called 'Noticeboard'. This is being pulled in on my homepage:

$noticeboard = DataObject::get("Post", "INNER JOIN SiteTree ON 'Post'.ForumID = 'SiteTree'.ID", "Created DESC", "WHERE SiteTree.Title='Noticeboard'" , $num);

Now I know the query works because I tested it out with phpMyAdmin.

So how does the syntax for SS work?

Any help would be great

Thanks

Harley

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

5 September 2009 at 6:59pm

Hmm you might want to try back ticks for the table names if that query works fine (eg the join is setup correct)

DataObject::get("Post", "INNER JOIN `SiteTree` ON `Post`.ForumID = `SiteTree`.ID", "Created DESC", "WHERE `SiteTree`.Title='Noticeboard'" , $num);
[/code[

Harley

5 September 2009 at 9:27pm

Thanks for the reply, tried what you said but still no joy.

Here is the error it gave me

[User Error] Couldn't run query: SELECT `Post`.*, `Post`.ID, if(`Post`.ClassName,`Post`.ClassName,'Post') AS RecordClassName FROM `Post` WHERE `SiteTree`.Title='Noticeboard' WHERE INNER JOIN `SiteTree` ON `Post`.ForumID = `SiteTree`.ID) GROUP BY `Post`.ID ORDER BY Created DESC LIMIT 3 You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'WHERE (INNER JOIN `SiteTree` ON `Post`.ForumID = `SiteTree`.ID) GROUP BY `Post`.' at line 1
GET /wwwroot/elevator/elevator-home/?flush=1

Line 400 in C:\xampp\htdocs\wwwroot\elevator\sapphire\core\model\MySQLDatabase.php
Source

391 }
393 function databaseError($msg, $errorLevel = E_USER_ERROR) {
394 // try to extract and format query
395 if(preg_match('/Couldn\'t run query: ([^\|]*)\|\s*(.*)/', $msg, $matches)) {
396 $formatter = new SQLFormatter();
397 $msg = "Couldn't run query: \n" . $formatter->formatPlain($matches[1]) . "\n\n" . $matches[2];
398 }
400 user_error($msg, $errorLevel);
401 }
402 }
404 /**
405 * A result-set from a MySQL database.
406 * @package sapphire

Trace

* Couldn't run query: SELECT `Post`.*, `Post`.ID, if(`Post`.ClassName,`Post`.ClassName,'Post') AS RecordClassName FROM `Post` WHERE `SiteTree`.Title='Noticeboard' WHERE INNER JOIN `SiteTree` ON `Post`.ForumID = `SiteTree`.ID) GROUP BY `Post`.ID ORDER BY Created DESC LIMIT 3 You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'WHERE (INNER JOIN `SiteTree` ON `Post`.ForumID = `SiteTree`.ID) GROUP BY `Post`.' at line 1
Line 400 of MySQLDatabase.php
* MySQLDatabase->databaseError(Couldn't run query: SELECT `Post`.*, `Post`.ID, if(`Post`.ClassName,`Post`.ClassName,'Post') AS RecordClassName FROM `Post` WHERE `SiteTree`.Title='Noticeboard' WHERE (INNER JOIN `SiteTree` ON `Post`.ForumID = `SiteTree`.ID) GROUP BY `Post`.ID ORDER BY Created DESC LIMIT 3 | You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'WHERE (INNER JOIN `SiteTree` ON `Post`.ForumID = `SiteTree`.ID) GROUP BY `Post`.' at line 1,256)
Line 102 of MySQLDatabase.php
* MySQLDatabase->query(SELECT `Post`.*, `Post`.ID, if(`Post`.ClassName,`Post`.ClassName,'Post') AS RecordClassName FROM `Post` WHERE `SiteTree`.Title='Noticeboard' WHERE (INNER JOIN `SiteTree` ON `Post`.ForumID = `SiteTree`.ID) GROUP BY `Post`.ID ORDER BY Created DESC LIMIT 3,256)
Line 120 of DB.php
* DB::query(SELECT `Post`.*, `Post`.ID, if(`Post`.ClassName,`Post`.ClassName,'Post') AS RecordClassName FROM `Post` WHERE `SiteTree`.Title='Noticeboard' WHERE (INNER JOIN `SiteTree` ON `Post`.ForumID = `SiteTree`.ID) GROUP BY `Post`.ID ORDER BY Created DESC LIMIT 3)
Line 426 of SQLQuery.php
* SQLQuery->execute()
Line 2404 of DataObject.php
* DataObject->instance_get(INNER JOIN `SiteTree` ON `Post`.ForumID = `SiteTree`.ID,Created DESC,WHERE `SiteTree`.Title='Noticeboard',3,DataObjectSet)
Line 2380 of DataObject.php
* DataObject::get(Post,INNER JOIN `SiteTree` ON `Post`.ForumID = `SiteTree`.ID,Created DESC,WHERE `SiteTree`.Title='Noticeboard',3)
Line 95 of elevatorHomePage.php
* elevatorHomePage_Controller->getNoticeboardPosts()
* call_user_func_array(Array,Array)
Line 318 of ViewableData.php
* ViewableData->obj(getNoticeboardPosts)
Line 72 of .cacheC..xampp.htdocs.wwwroot.elevator.themes.elevator.templates.Layout.elevatorHomePage.ss
* include(C:\Users\Bob\AppData\Local\Temp\silverstripe-cacheC--xampp-htdocs-wwwroot-Elevator\.cacheC..xampp.htdocs.wwwroot.elevator.themes.elevator.templates.Layout.elevatorHomePage.ss)
Line 354 of SSViewer.php
* SSViewer->process(elevatorHomePage_Controller)
Line 346 of SSViewer.php
* SSViewer->process(elevatorHomePage_Controller)
Line 175 of Controller.php
* Controller->handleAction(HTTPRequest)
Line 129 of RequestHandler.php
* RequestHandler->handleRequest(HTTPRequest)
Line 122 of Controller.php
* Controller->handleRequest(HTTPRequest)
Line 29 of ModelAsController.php
* ModelAsController->handleRequest(HTTPRequest)
Line 277 of Director.php
* Director::handleRequest(HTTPRequest,Session)
Line 121 of Director.php
* Director::direct(/elevator-home/)
Line 118 of main.php

Just out of interest, what is the significance of the backtick?

Regards

Willr

5 September 2009 at 9:31pm

Oh sorry didn't pick up on this last time. Your join has to be the 4th parameter;

DataObject::get($class, $where, $order, $join, $limit);

So your query would look like

DataObject::get("Post", "`SiteTree`.Title='Noticeboard'", "Created DESC", "INNER JOIN `SiteTree` ON `Post`.ForumID = `SiteTree`.ID" , $num);

Or something along those lines.

Harley

6 September 2009 at 5:22am

My man, you hit the nail on the head!

So just to clarify for future reference, this:- DataObject::get($class, $where, $order, $join, $limit); is always the order of the syntax for any sql statement?

Glad I got that sorted, I was getting worried for a while there

Thanks so much again

Willr

6 September 2009 at 5:11pm

That is the syntax for any DataObject::get() call or DataObject::get_one() call. If you are using DB::query() that has no order as that passes straight SQL