Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Adding Cartweaver to Silverstripe?

Go to End

13 Posts   5812 Views

Valorinbattle

Community Member, 95 Posts

16 December 2009 at 5:38am

Yes, I was able to use Cartweaver alongside Silverstripe. It's not integrated - just hardcoded a link to the Store on each of my page types. So my clients have a backend for Silverstripe and a backend for the Storefront - but I've heard no complaints whatsoever. And since I purchased the PHP version of Cartweaver, visitors to the site can't tell that the Storefront isn't integrated - it all looks the same. I just used the same CSS from the frontend on the storefront. To imitate the menus (including 2nd and 3rd level) I just went to "view source" from the silverstripe site once I had my subpages created and copied the menu section. Then I hardcoded those menus into each page in Cartweaver. The only drawback is down the road if my menus and submenus change in Silverstripe, I'll have to update each page again in Cartweaver - but that takes less than 5 minutes to update and upload the changes.

Let me know if you need further explanation. I am extremely thrilled about Cartweaver. The online community support is terrific and the functionality is exceptional. No complaints whatsoever.

~ Valorinbattle

Yakiv

Community Member, 59 Posts

16 December 2009 at 7:54am

Edited: 16/12/2009 7:55am

@dalesaurus - I don't trust anything unless the code is under my control and residing on my site / server. ...Has anyone actually implemented such an integration as what Valorinbattle and I are describing in this thread? ...The thing is, the ecommerce module, being built for SilverStripe will most likely never reach the level of OpenCart, as far as a fully fledged, robust online store solution. It (the present ecommerce module) will always be good for adding a simple store and cart to the SilverStripe CMS, but doubtfully advance beyond that. Although, we can hope that it would achieve the level of VirtueMart. ...My question is, why re-invent the wheel here? Since OpenCart is open source, there would be nothing wrong with forking it into a module specifically designed as an integrated solution into SilverStripe. I would be happy to donate toward that effort, if it was truly, officially started and backed by the SilverStripe leadership!

Yakiv

16 December 2009 at 7:59am

@Valorinbattle - thank you! It's interesting that you describe your solution in the way you did. I was actually thinking about doing something similar, but with OpenCart. If I can at least limit the systems to 2, that's not doing too bad. But, I would still like to see if someone - with the right experience - would be willing to produce a true integration of OpenCart into SilverStripe, as an official mod. I would imagine that this would infuse quite a bit of excitement into SilverStripe too!

So, yes, I would be interested in getting more details from you, as to what exactly was done. ...If I can see the "final product" too, that would be great. :-)

LCramer

Community Member, 1 Post

17 December 2009 at 8:54am

@Valorinbattle - thanks for the kind words about Cartweaver. This is very interesting, I'd like to hear more about this since we haven't had a chance to test this sort of thing out with SilverStripe on our end but are definitely interested in doing so. pop me an email if you'd like. Maybe we could even do an article on our blog about this. my email: lawrence [@] cartweaver [.] com

Thanks

Lawrence Cramer
Cartweaver.com

Yakiv

18 December 2009 at 1:50am

Edited: 18/12/2009 1:50am

You're "Featured Cartweaver Customer," which touts itself as "A team of professional website designers, offering custom web design," I guess didn't have enough ability to come up with it's own template and graphics? They had to steal the work of Solucija? and then claim credit for themselves?

http://www.onlinedesignuk.co.uk/
http://www.solucija.com/template/internet-services

Not very impressive. ...And I checked out the demos of Cartweaver. Pathetic product, compared to an Open Source project like OpenCart. OpenCart blows you away and I don't have to pay $295 for it!

...By the way, if you're going to have such a prominent, public example for your business software, it would help to check that they are not using such common open source templates, listed here:

http://www.oswd.org/design/preview/id/2876

Go to Top