Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Internet Explorer 6

Go to End

7 Posts   2119 Views

Junglefish

Community Member, 109 Posts

12 November 2009 at 11:27pm

Hi

I don't know if this is a concern, but is SilverStripe supported on IE6?

I have a client who keeps using it (although I'm trying to wean her on to Firefox) and she found an interesting bug. In Files & Images, select any file and take a look at the View/Edit Asset window. The Save button is totally missing (!) and the window misbehaves itself quite mischievously whenever you click on a tab or click into one of the form input fields.

As I say, maybe you don't support IE6 (I personally wouldn't either) but I thought I'd mention it.

(ps. IE7 is fine)

jf/

patjnr

Community Member, 102 Posts

13 November 2009 at 12:31am

SS and IE6 dont like each other

http://www.silverstripe.org/ie-6-detection/

IE6 does not display SS properly.

tx

bummzack

Community Member, 904 Posts

13 November 2009 at 1:17am

Edited: 13/11/2009 1:18am

That widget is no indication about IE 6 compatibility. It's just there for people who don't make their site work in IE6 and want to display a warning to the user.

But as far as I know it's true that the SilverStripe CMS doesn't work well (or at all) in IE6. It's important to differentiate between the SilverStripe CMS and the SilverStripe driven Website or Application, since it's up to you (the developer) to make that work in IE 6 or not...

Junglefish

Community Member, 109 Posts

16 November 2009 at 9:56pm

Hi guys.

Yes, for the sake of clarity, I was referring to the SilverStripe CMS.

jf/

Taffy

Community Member, 119 Posts

17 November 2009 at 12:31am

I have a site running on SS 2.2.3 (need to update!!!!) and the admin seems to work fine with IE6.

Not sure about 2.3.x & 2.4.x

dalesaurus

Community Member, 283 Posts

17 November 2009 at 5:50am

Junglefish, for the love of your own sanity plead that she upgrade! Maybe send her a fruitcake?

I have done the math before and I think it can be cheaper sometimes to buy a client a new computer than to deal with them using IE6.

Greg1

Community Member, 28 Posts

17 November 2009 at 11:03am

Edited: 17/11/2009 11:04am

I run a couple of personal 2.3.1 sites and the CMS works fine with IE6. I still have my save button and no strange window behaviour the OP reported.

Like most large corporates we are still stuck on XP/IE6. Hopefully we'll get lucky and they'll upgrade to Win7. I mostly use Firefox and Chrome so that part is not an issue.