Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Hosting Requirements /

What you need to consider when choosing a hosting provider and plan.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Hosting recommendations in the Netherlands?

Go to End

9 Posts   8667 Views

martimiz

Forum Moderator, 1391 Posts

7 February 2010 at 10:34pm

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a hosting platform in the Netherlands for hosting small to just a little bit bigger commercial SilverStripe sites where they might stay up to speed even during the busy hours? I'm not looking for the lowest prices, but it should be affordable for small businesses.

Thanks in advance,

Martine

Bambii7

Community Member, 254 Posts

11 March 2010 at 3:03pm

I couldn't tell you which would host would be the closest to Netherlands, which would help slightly with speed. I live in New Zealand and use US hosting companies. Which is what you want if a site is to have an international presence.

Godaddy and Hostgator are cheap. And at a glance offer all that you'd need. But I haven't had grate times with their support, they still kind of do the trick though.

I currently use wired tree http://www.wiredtree.com/
they're a smaller team of dudes running it. Grate response times for support, and have handled what I thought were some more advance server requirements without worry.

I haven't had first hand experience with with rack space but I'm told they're out right awesome http://www.rackspace.com/index.php
You pay more for what you get though. My brother put www.ninjakiwi.com on there, which has CRAZY amounts of page views, their server and support have worked well for them.

Blue Host I think a little mid range between premium server and cheap and dirty. From what I've experienced they offer dirt cheap hosting but limit the accounts per host to something more reasonable than godaddy or host gator. Although that just what they tell me over the phone :) http://www.bluehost.com/track/joomlabear/CODE43 (I left aff id in there I don't mean to spam)

And again I don't have anything here but have set Joomla up for someone on this host. One https://www.one.com/en/ they offer everything you need. But the idea is you have one site per account.

If you're doing a lot of sites I'd book yourself a WHM account on a more premium host. Then you can set up as many accounts as you need. The host will help you if you need a hand getting started. And it'll start paying for itself after you get a few clients on there. I use wired tree and WHMCS to manage accounts for small jobs I do here in New Zealand

patte

Community Member, 63 Posts

12 March 2010 at 12:56am

We`re hosting SilverStripe sites here in germany at mittwald.de - good performance and perfect scalable for agencies hosting client sites. Not so far away from the netherlands, should be fast enough ;-)

BTW SilverStripe can be installed preconfigured from within the admin interface...

martimiz

Forum Moderator, 1391 Posts

14 March 2010 at 9:28am

Thanks guys :-)

@Bambii7: thank you also for giving such a detailed answer!

To explain a bit: it's not so much that I am afraid of a hughe timeloss for websites that travel halfway round the globe :-) It's more that clients like to have registration and hosting in one package, and for an .nl domain that means (mostly) in the Netherlands. I've recently been pointed to keenondots, so maybe...

blueskies

Community Member, 44 Posts

1 April 2010 at 10:31am

I can vouch for Keenondots. They are an excellent host with personal service. Experienced in hosting Silverstripe, we host all our Silverstripe sites there!

komin

Community Member, 1 Post

1 June 2010 at 3:02pm

I use http://www.worldtophost.com/
It has the best web hosting plan and good domain name registration!!!

Rawish

Community Member, 5 Posts

30 June 2010 at 4:03pm

Hosting our website at mijndomein.nl, the hosting is just fine (might have to ask them to move your domain to a 32MB php memory server) and they support most functions. Besides, they're like the cheapest to find in the Netherlands.

haantje72

Community Member, 69 Posts

17 July 2010 at 4:47am

I host more sites and mostly work with alphamegahosting.com from valkenswaard. A very reliable server, quick end good support (9 to 5). Webspace bout 500mb and lots of features... not the cheapest one but very good for business sites.

The second choice is mijndomein.nl with 1 gb of space and every year 1 gb +.
Support is only by email and not alway very quick. in the cpanel you can adjust php setting turn off secure wich gets 64mb of memory. The only problem is now that it doesnt have curl. it will be installed in a few weeks or maybe 2 months. Silverstripe works fine but if you want to use youtubegallery or recaptcha it gives an error.

these are mainly the 2 hosters here i work with

Go to Top