Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Hosting Requirements /

What you need to consider when choosing a hosting provider and plan.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Newbie: Is Linux better than MS/IIS for SilverStripe?

Go to End

11 Posts   5665 Views

britishpacific

Community Member, 4 Posts

21 October 2010 at 1:03pm

Hey, all:
I know it's possible to install SilverStripe on a Microsoft hosting package *but* it's also possible to install wordpress on Microsoft servers but apparently it doesn't work very well:
http://www.thisishowyoudoit.com/blog/10-reasons-why-not-to-host-your-wordpress-blog-on-a-windowsiis-platform/

So, my question is: does SilverStripe work faster/better in the Linux environment?

Thanks for your feedback,
Jared

Sean

Forum Moderator, 922 Posts

21 October 2010 at 2:59pm

Edited: 21/10/2010 3:14pm

The gap between Linux and Windows being different in performance was closed when PHP 5.3 was released. There were many fixes to improve performance on the Microsoft platform. Microsoft also released Wincache which speeds up PHP on Windows significantly.

As for that link, many points are Wordpress specific, and it's almost near trolling so I wouldn't read too much into it.

SilverStripe works well on Windows Server 2008+, IIS 7.x and SQL Server 2008 or MySQL on Windows.
Performance is not really an issue at all, and all features work out of the box. We also have continuous integration builds running on Windows, so any issues are caught if they're unit tested, thus most of the core framework and CMS work fine.

The only time it won't work is if your host is providing IIS 6, which does not support rewriting and is more of a pain to get working. If this is the case, you'd be best to go with a Linux host.

Otherwise, my recommendation is go with what you're most comfortable using. If you've had a lot of experience on Windows, then use that. If you're a command line jockey on Linux, then go with that instead. Ubuntu and Debian Linux are very good operating systems, and SilverStripe works very well on them.

There are a few downsides to using SilverStripe on Windows, but they mostly can be worked around relatively easily unless you're working with command line tools that require a *nix based platform.

Cheers,
Sean

britishpacific

21 October 2010 at 3:33pm

I appreciate the feedback. I will check with my current host (1&1 USA) to see if any of the issues you've raised apply.

Would you say that Linux is the ideal environment for SS or is there no difference between servers now?

Best regards,
Garreth

Sean

21 October 2010 at 3:38pm

Edited: 21/10/2010 3:40pm

Most Windows shared hosts probably won't provide you with a new "ideal" Windows environment, unless you had your own Windows VPS.

So, given that, I think it might be best to go with a Linux host.

Here's some information to help you choose a host:

* http://doc.silverstripe.org/server-requirements
* http://doc.silverstripe.org/suggested-web-hosts

There's also lots of great people on these forums to help if you get stuck!

Cheers,
Sean

britishpacific

22 October 2010 at 6:40pm

I am working with my host to merge all my domains on to my Linux account and then I plan to upgrade to a dedicated server so I can be really commit to this project.

If I may ask an impertinent question? What would be the advantages of SilverStripe over WordPress? Mark Cz is very impressed with SS:
http://blog.markcz.com/wordpress-cms-alternative/

I am completely new at CMS and so I am trying to determine what is the best for my various projects (local news portals and online magazines).

All the best,
Jared

Sean

24 October 2010 at 1:28pm

Hi Jared,

One of the advantages of SilverStripe is the ability for it to be flexible, the framework is designed to be extended easily.

It is sort of like having a framework like Django or Rails but written in PHP, so developers can dive straight in and write code without the steep learning curve of learning another language like Ruby. However, the biggest difference between pure frameworks and SilverStripe is that it comes with a CMS, so content editors can add and edit content for features you develop under the hood.

Sean

Nivanka

Community Member, 400 Posts

19 November 2010 at 1:46pm

I have only set up SilverStripe on IIS once, and I am not going to do it again.

my suggestion try to use LAMP or MAMP

biapar

Forum Moderator, 435 Posts

12 December 2010 at 11:14am

Why?
I work on Win2k8 r2 and SS goes well...

Go to Top