Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Hosting Requirements /

What you need to consider when choosing a hosting provider and plan.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Anyone using APC PHP Accelerator?

Go to End

8 Posts   5525 Views

Blackdog

Community Member, 156 Posts

26 April 2011 at 10:36pm

Hi All,

Just wanted to see if anyone is using APC on a live site and if it has any adverse effects on Silverstripe?

With other people reporting errors with xcache and SS email headers I thought it might be safer to ask first.

thanks.

swaiba

Forum Moderator, 1899 Posts

27 April 2011 at 7:40am

Edited: 27/04/2011 7:41am

APC is so good it's going to be included in PHP6 (so I've heard) and it was recommend as the best one, also turn on mod_deflate too. Should mention it's been running on my server for months - nothing negative to report.

Blackdog

27 April 2011 at 3:09pm

I have been using mod_deflate and htacces file caching rules which have helped overall site speed.

My concern has shifted lately with a site we host which is attracting upward of 3000 visits a day. This is putting a large amount of load on apache and I either need to look at putting them on their own vps or install something to help reduce the load.

Just to confirm, you are running APC on your server?

swaiba

Forum Moderator, 1899 Posts

27 April 2011 at 8:00pm

it's been running on my server for months - nothing negative to report

Blackdog

28 April 2011 at 1:15am

I wasn't sure if you were talking about mod_deflate.

I installed APC and there is definately a great gain to be made using it.

Thanks!

tv

Community Member, 44 Posts

14 August 2011 at 1:23am

What kind of requests per_second are you guys seeing with APC installed?

I have APC installed on my Media Temple 3.5 dv server (1 GB RAM) with shared memory set to 100M. I also have partial caching in place (which I have tested and is working) with SS_Cache::pick_back_end set to use APC.

Using ap bench with a concurrency of 10, I am only seeing 6 to 7 requests pre second. I am new to server optimization, but isn't this really low?

Any thoughts on what I might be doing wrong or what I can do to increase my requests_per_second?

Sean

Forum Moderator, 922 Posts

5 September 2011 at 11:37am

If you're in dev mode on the site, you can add ?debug_profile=1 to the URL, e.g. "mysite.com/about-us?debug_profile=1".

This will give you a list of times it took to render page components. While it's not the best profiler around, it does give you a good indication what parts of the page template are slow, and from there you can apply partial caching where appropriate.

Hope that helps.

Sean

biapar

Forum Moderator, 435 Posts

21 February 2012 at 12:43am

I use phpcache on IIS7.5