Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Hosting Requirements /

What you need to consider when choosing a hosting provider and plan.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

What needs to be considered when moving to load-balancing?

Go to End

4 Posts   2724 Views

Corey

Community Member, 2 Posts

14 August 2013 at 2:05pm

Hi,

We're currently running SilverStripe CMS on one host and we'd like to shift it to a load-balanced set of servers.

What needs to happen in order to make this work?

Clearly, we'll need all 5 servers to talk to one database server. Also, I'm assuming all downloadable files such as images will be going to an uploads folder that will need to be regularly synchronized (with rsync, I presume) or alternatively, hosted on a common server (potentially Amazon S3, using S3FS).

I'm making these plans now but I have no familiarity with Silverstripe. Is there other potential issues I should be investigating? For example, the presence of Memcached or something else?

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

14 August 2013 at 6:25pm

s there other potential issues I should be investigating? For example, the presence of Memcached or something else?

SilverStripe has a cache for classnames and file lookups. You can either store the cache on a common fileshare or have a cache on each machine. If you have one on each machine then you need to make sure that when you do a deploy the cache is removed on each machine / recached.

I'd recommend using a common fileshare for the assets rather than rsync make it easier.

Corey

Community Member, 2 Posts

15 August 2013 at 12:35pm

Great, thank you. Looks like the cache folder is at /tmp/silverstripe-cache is that correct? ( Source: http://www.silverstripe.org/installing-silverstripe/show/20046 )

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

24 August 2013 at 12:59pm

Yes, though you can override the temp folder location by defining TEMP_FOLDER. It will default to /tmp/ or ./silverstripe-cache if not defined. The cache includes file paths so you may not want to share between servers if they are structured ever so differently (like a random hash folder)