Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Hosting Requirements /

What you need to consider when choosing a hosting provider and plan.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Hosting Recommendations for US?

Go to End

12 Posts   6496 Views

youngmug

Community Member, 19 Posts

15 March 2010 at 6:31am

I believe 1&1 still uses PHP4 on their plans by default. There is documentation on their site about how to switch to PHP5. Be careful with them, they limit databases to a maximum of 100 megabytes.

I've seen a lot of people bit by bargain-basement shared hosting, including HostGator and 1&1. Always make sure to read the TOS for a hosting company to know where those limits on "unlimited" are. If you plan to get a lot of traffic, also be careful because SilverStripe can be heavy at times, and many shared hosts automatically suspend sites with heavy CPU usage.

Furthermore, avoid any companies owned by Endurance International Group (BizLand, FatCow, PowWeb, and iPowerWeb among 20+ brands they market under). I've personally experienced the disservice from one of their brands, and have heard horror stories from those who have used their other brands.

I've heard very good things about MonteCarloHosting, and their resource allocations are quite reasonable for the price.

fiona

Community Member, 3 Posts

20 March 2010 at 8:00pm

Thanks for the following answer.

ttyl

Community Member, 114 Posts

8 May 2010 at 3:01am

godaddy was a nightmare in general. I've switched a lot of personal wordpress powered sites to media temple and it's been fantastic. user management, multiple domains, ssh access - everything is a breeze. only issue is access php error logs is a PITA. I don't' have first hand experience running SS on my mediatemple server (I run SS on my work server which is in-house) but I see no reason why it wouldn't be a breeze. I realized in the end that you get what you pay for and in the hosting market there is a lot of very cheap and very bad hosting. media temple starts at $200/year but it is well worth it.

http://www.mediatemple.net

youngmug

Community Member, 19 Posts

11 May 2010 at 3:13pm

One other option is the Rackspace Cloud. It's about the same price as MediaTemple, and also very good. We use them at work for some of our customers, and it's been a very stable platform. They also have very responsive support (one current ticket we put in with MediaTemple has an eta of 12 hours for response - we've never had more than two hours wait on a ticket and ten minutes on live chat).

Go to Top