I've got Silverstripe 2.4 working on a "live.com" and also a "dev.com" server (2 different domains). We use subversion/beanstalk to push from local to dev, then dev to live. I need to do an upgrade from 2.4 to the latest (which appears to be 3.1). However we use the development server daily, and I can't have it down while upgrading. I'd like to setup a copy of the site/database on something like upgrade.dev.com. My proceedure would be to run a new install of Silverstripe 3.1 on upgrade.dev.com. Move mysite, third party modules, custom js/css. Database dump. Alter environment and config files. Dev/build.
1. Do you see any problems with the method?
2. Can I run one instance in dev.com and simultaneously run another in upgrade.dev.com?
3. Is my installation stuck to the domain, or will I be able to override globals with environment when I'm done and need to move this over to dev?
4. Any issues with installing on a subdomain?
5. Lastly... if there is a better way to work in an upgrade, please by all means suggest it.
Thanks for taking the time to review and help me with my strategy. I appreciate your time and expertise.