Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Installing SilverStripe /

Getting SilverStripe up and running on your computer and on your web server.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Need to upgrade to 3.1 from 2.4... want development on subdomain

Go to End

2 Posts   1678 Views

basedrop

Community Member, 3 Posts

1 May 2015 at 9:19am

Hello,
I've got Silverstripe 2.4 working on a "live.com" and also a "dev.com" server (2 different domains). We use subversion/beanstalk to push from local to dev, then dev to live. I need to do an upgrade from 2.4 to the latest (which appears to be 3.1). However we use the development server daily, and I can't have it down while upgrading. I'd like to setup a copy of the site/database on something like upgrade.dev.com. My proceedure would be to run a new install of Silverstripe 3.1 on upgrade.dev.com. Move mysite, third party modules, custom js/css. Database dump. Alter environment and config files. Dev/build.

1. Do you see any problems with the method?
2. Can I run one instance in dev.com and simultaneously run another in upgrade.dev.com?
3. Is my installation stuck to the domain, or will I be able to override globals with environment when I'm done and need to move this over to dev?
4. Any issues with installing on a subdomain?
5. Lastly... if there is a better way to work in an upgrade, please by all means suggest it.

Thanks for taking the time to review and help me with my strategy. I appreciate your time and expertise.
~basedrop

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

7 May 2015 at 9:39pm

1) Should be a good method. SilverStripe is normally pretty good about not being dependant on a particular base URL (unlike WP where it's in the database!)
2) Sure, as long as you use separate databases. You may need to tweak your .htaccess file
3) Your installation aren't locked to per domain and unless database details are hard coded (rather than in a _ss_environment file) then copying should be easy
4) Shouldn't be