Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Installing SilverStripe /

Getting SilverStripe up and running on your computer and on your web server.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Install Additional Modules

Go to End

7 Posts   2412 Views

400guy

Community Member, 4 Posts

13 December 2009 at 3:35am

Edited: 13/12/2009 3:36am

I am brand new to Silverstripe. I am trying to install and use the Newsletter module. I am running on Windows Vista - 64bit.
I loaded the Newsletter folder on my site. I did the /build?flush=1.
I received no new icon to build newsletters. I moved the Newsletter folder to different locations under "mysite" and elsewhere under my "Silverstripe" folder structure.
I eventually got the button to show, but when I clicked it, I received an error -

[Warning] file_get_contents(C:\inetpub\wwwroot\silverstripe/cms/javascript/tinymce.template.js) [function.file-get-contents]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory
GET /silverstripe/admin/newsletter/
Line 472 in C:\inetpub\wwwroot\silverstripe\sapphire\core\Requirements.php

How do I get started with the Newsletter module?

Thanks, 400Guy.

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

13 December 2009 at 9:54am

You need to install the newsletter module in the root directory of your site - the one with sapphire, cms in it. Then after running /dev/build/ you should see things go green.

One thing to note is make sure the folder is called 'newsletter' and not 'newsletter-13432' or something. Next thing to check is the database. After running dev/build look at your database structure (if you have phpmyadmin this works quite well) you need to check a 'Newsletter' table has been created.

I received no new icon to build newsletters. 

Note that newsletters aren't page types. After you added the module it should add a tab up the top in the CMS.

If you still have trouble post what versions you are using.

400guy

14 December 2009 at 8:58am

I have put the Newsletter folder in the Sapphire directory; it is named "newsletter" - no extension on the name.
I have run dev/build. Same results - I get the Newsletter tab at the top of the window, but it errors out when I click it:

[Warning] file_get_contents(C:\inetpub\wwwroot\silverstripe/cms/javascript/tinymce.template.js) [function.file-get-contents]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory
GET /silverstripe/admin/newsletter/
Line 472 in C:\inetpub\wwwroot\silverstripe\sapphire\core\Requirements.php

I also do NOT have the new "newsletter" table in my database.

Silverstripe_Version file in root/silverstripe/sapphire indicates that I have Version 2.3.3. Will updating to 2.3.4 fix this?

Willr

14 December 2009 at 9:06am

You'll need to use an updated version of the module - http://open.silverstripe.org/ticket/4158

400guy

16 December 2009 at 9:03am

I have removed then downloaded / re-installed Silverstripe (V2.3.4). I started completely from scratch.
At this point, I was able to install the Newsletter module as described above.
Now my only remaining issue is that I still can't SEND a newsletter. I have set up a simple mail list with just my e-mail on it for testing. No luck. I then tried sending to the Test e-mail (the first option) entering my email. Still no luck.

Does this feature expect a local install of an e-mail client such as MS Outlook?
I always run my mail on-line, so I do not have a local client set up.

Other than that, I seem to be making progress! I am understanding it more every day as I experiment and test, and I look forward to creating and going live with a site in the next few weeks.

Willr

16 December 2009 at 9:30am

Can you send emails normally on your server? Sending emails requires nothing on the client side but you do have to configure your host to send email. If you try a simple mail script on the server does it work?

mailme.php

<?php
 echo mail('youremail@email.com', 'test');

Upload that to the server (anywhere outside of SS) and see what that does.

400guy

16 December 2009 at 11:56am

Unfortunately I do not have a mail server. I am running a test site on "localhost", and I do not have a mail server set up on this PC. I am still waiting on credentials for access to the site I will be working on. I believe that particular feature will have to wait until I have a server to load it on to test.

For now, moving on to other features to try to understand - perhaps a BLOG feature?

FYI - I find this forum to be VERY helpful. I received responses very promptly, and my problem is resolved, as far as I can tell!
Now, if you can just get me to understand how all this stuff works, I'll be a very happy guy!

400Guy