Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Installing SilverStripe /

Getting SilverStripe up and running on your computer and on your web server.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Extracting the tar file on a webserver? Please advise!!!

Go to End

2 Posts   3045 Views

nick1572

Community Member, 3 Posts

28 January 2010 at 5:55am

Edited: 28/01/2010 6:02am

Alrighty! Hello to all.

I have successfully got silverstripe up and running on MAMP(locally) and love it. Been very very happy with it. I'm trying to branch out now and get it running on my webserver. I'm hazy as to how to extract the file on the webserver. I'm on a mac running transmit. i uploaded the tar file to the server but there is no option, that I see, to extract. I tried to just unzip it locally and upload through ftp but that took a very very long time. Can anyone tell me more exactly how to extract the tar file on the server? I'm foggy doing command line stuff - so that will be like rocket science to me. Is there a straightforward, easy, way to do this?

I'd welcome any advice!!!

thanks in advance!

nick1572

OwenW

Community Member, 45 Posts

28 January 2010 at 12:00pm

Hi Nick,

What you will need to do to get the package unpacked at the other end is to be able to log in to the webserver using SSH. The shell will then allow you to extract the tarball at the other end.

The basic command that you need to run to extract the tarball is;

tar -zxf Silverstripe.tar.gz

This command will extract a compressed tarball to the directory location that you are currently in.

Hope that helps.

Cheers
Owen