Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Installing SilverStripe /

Getting SilverStripe up and running on your computer and on your web server.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Using SS as just a framework with no cms module help.

Go to End

5 Posts   1313 Views

BigD1214

Community Member, 24 Posts

24 August 2016 at 1:08pm

Hey friends,
Im wanting to start a project where I'm not too concerned about the CMS section of the site but I want to use the ss framework. Does anyone know of where I can go to help get started with this? my main concern is how do i create pages and a site tree and associate the page with the right page type? And lastly, can I use the member security section without a CMS module?

Thanks in advanced.

D

Dorset Digital

Community Member, 3 Posts

26 August 2016 at 12:59am

Hi,

Pages, etc. are all handled in the same way as with the full CMS version. You create page controllers and templates as you need them, all the usual layouts and includes work.

You'll need to set up custom routes for your controllers to give you the URLs, but it's not a big deal to do once you've done it once.

You can use member security, groups, etc. within the init() method of your page controller, but obviously you'll need some method of managing the members if you don't have the CMS.

The framework on it's own is really powerful and useful. I use it for lots of little projects.

Dorset Digital

26 August 2016 at 1:07am

Here's the relevant bit about routing, etc. https://docs.silverstripe.org/en/3.4/developer_guides/controllers/

BigD1214

Community Member, 24 Posts

26 August 2016 at 1:14am

Wow thanks for the info in going to do some research and let you know how it goes. Thanks for the help.

Dorset Digital

26 August 2016 at 1:22am

No worries.

For the permissions issues, you can use something like the following in your page controller's init() method:

public function init() {
 parent::init();
 if (some thing you want to check fails) {
  Security::permissionFailure();
 }
}

Obviously the above isn't actual code! But hopefully it will point you to the right methods.