Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Installing SilverStripe /

Getting SilverStripe up and running on your computer and on your web server.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Installation problems

Go to End

5 Posts   2308 Views

Mianelle

Community Member, 9 Posts

6 June 2010 at 10:14pm

Hi there,

I have tried to install Silverstripe but get lost as I get two errors when trying to install it via Microsoft Web Platform (I have Windows 7)

This is what I have done so far:

- Downloaded Silverstripe
- Downloaded Microsoft Web Platform

But it tells be by the end of the installation proces that
The database 'silverstripe' could not be created.

What does this mean? I am totally blank when it comes to database so I am a beginner here. Do I need to set up some kind of database before installating Silverstripe or is it a lot more straightforward? I have in the installation proces created a new website and a new database. Is this correct?

I hope some one can help me with this simple and yet confusing steps of the installing proces

Thank you very much

Mia

Sean

Forum Moderator, 922 Posts

7 June 2010 at 7:29pm

Edited: 07/06/2010 8:20pm

Hi Mia,

Which database type did you choose during installation? MySQL or SQL Server?

EDIT I don't believe I was given a choice of database during install, which is interesting. It tries to install MySQL and SQL Server Express at the same time.

I've just setup a Windows 7 Ultimate VM for testing, will see how my WebPI installation goes.

Cheers,
Sean

Sean

Forum Moderator, 922 Posts

8 June 2010 at 4:28pm

Edited: 08/06/2010 6:22pm

I've run through the install and got the same error on Windows 7. "Database 'silverstripe' could not be created".

A critical ticket has been filed in our bug tracker, looks like a problem with the Web PI portion of the install, as installing SilverStripe manually works fine. http://open.silverstripe.org/ticket/5691

My suggestion would be to install SilverStripe using XAMPP or WampServer on Windows for now. My preference is WampServer.

This would involve downloading XAMPP or WampServer and installing it to get a basic web server running, then downloading SilverStripe and copying it into the XAMPP htdocs directory (C:\xampp\htdocs for XAMPP, C:\wamp\www for WampServer).

Finally, browse to http://localhost/<directory name of silverstripe> to start the install process.

More details here: http://doc.silverstripe.org/installation-on-windows-wamp

You might need to uninstall the programs that WebPI installed when it failed. I don't think it cleans those up automatically.

If you have problems, let me know.

Cheers,
Sean

Mianelle

12 June 2010 at 12:55am

Hi Sean,

Thanks for your time. I am slowly starting to get an idea how all this are related to each other. However, after carefully followed your advice and the usefull guideline you provided I still seem to have a problem. This time with the Wampserver, as it will not go on-line nor either start up. I do not know whether these two things are connected. When I try to 'rewrite module' or put it on line it gives me this error:

Could not execute menuitem (internal error) [exception] could not perform service action. The service has not been started.

I do not understand why as there should be no web service running (Like Skype and Google talk, make sure to de select the port)

I have also deleted what I installed the first time when it gave me an error.

Hope it makes sense

Thank you once again

Mia

Mianelle

14 June 2010 at 9:59pm

Hi again

Over the weekend I have been hanging out in the WampServer forum. It turns out that it is not easy nor simple to install the Wampserver on Windows 7 either. What do you suggest me to do? Is it me who is totally ignorant or should I simply not use Windows 7 at all if that is what causes the problems?

Thank you

Mia