Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Installing SilverStripe /

Getting SilverStripe up and running on your computer and on your web server.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Replacing one site with another

Go to End

3 Posts   1229 Views

jseth

Community Member, 98 Posts

16 October 2010 at 1:36am

I think I must be overlooking something really simple, because I can't figure out why this isn't working. Here's what I'm trying to do. I have a functioning website in ver 2.3.8. I had some trouble upgrading to ver 2.4.2, so I just did a new installation of ver 2.4.2, and slowly brought over the elements/modules, or if they needed upgrading, installed the upgraded modules. When all was well, I imported the necessary data from the old database into the new, and the 2.4.2 site now looks just like the 2.3.8 site, but of course with all the cool 2.4.2 functionality hiding inside!

Now I'm trying to "roll over" the site, and the steps I was expecting to perform were:
1. Rename the old site folder from eastern to easternv238, then rename the new site folder from ss242 to eastern.
2. Rename the old site database from eastern to easternv238, then rename the new site database from ss242 to eastern.
3. Change the "ss242" site .htaccess file to read "RewriteBase /eastern" from "RewriteBase /ss242".
4. VHosts.conf does not need to be changed, as it already has the "eastern" reference for the virtual host.
5. Update the "ss242" _config.php to "database" => 'eastern' from "database"=> 'eastern'

I did all of these steps, but when I go to refresh the site, I get "object not found". I restarted mysql and apache, but apparently that wasn't necessary since it didn't resolve the error. Can anyone identify what else I need to do? I'd like to keep the site folder's and database's names as "eastern" - worse comes to worse I can change the virtual host file to look to the ss242 folder instead of the eastern folder, but I'd prefer not to.

Thank you!

Sean

Forum Moderator, 922 Posts

16 October 2010 at 11:38am

Done the usual dev/build?flush=all ?

jseth

Community Member, 98 Posts

17 October 2010 at 10:33pm

Thank you for your reply. The isse was simpler than I knew. All I needed to do was update the vhost file, then RESTART the server. For some reason, restarting Apache alone wasn't clearing the cache. I love it when things wind up being simpler than I thought!