Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Installing SilverStripe /

Getting SilverStripe up and running on your computer and on your web server.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Help - site was migrated by Sitevalley to VPS and now no longer works

Go to End

6 Posts   2003 Views

Larry7

Community Member, 21 Posts

23 October 2010 at 11:30pm

I had a working site on Sitevalley's shared hosting environment but it was slow. So I had them migrate the site to a virtual server for me. I expected that the entire SS site wold be migrated.

Alas when I run the site now I get this error

Warning: fopen(/home/liveinsp/domains/liveinspiredjourney.org/public_html/silverstripe-cache/manifest-main) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/liveinsp/domains/liveinspiredjourney.org/public_html/sapphire/core/ManifestBuilder.php on line 112

Fatal error: Cannot write manifest file! Check permissions of /home/liveinsp/domains/liveinspiredjourney.org/public_html/silverstripe-cache/manifest-main in /home/liveinsp/domains/liveinspiredjourney.org/public_html/sapphire/core/ManifestBuilder.php on line 116

I have looked at the manifest-main file and its permission is 755. I am no Linux person but that seems reasonable.

What else should I be looking at? At the moment the site is dead in the water.

Thanks a lot for any help

Larry

Sean

Forum Moderator, 922 Posts

24 October 2010 at 12:44pm

Edited: 24/10/2010 12:44pm

The easiest way to fix this is to create a directory called silverstripe-cache in the path where you installed SilverStripe.

Then, give that silverstripe-cache directory web user writable permissions.

Cheers,
Sean

Larry7

24 October 2010 at 1:58pm

There is already a silver-stripe cache directory as you can see from the error message. Have the paths changed or something as part of the migration? Currently the paths look like

../domains/liveinspiredjourney.org/public_html with the following directories under that

sapphire
silverstripe-cache (with tons of files under it including the manifest-main that is giving the permission error)

and a whole bunch of other directories

Is there some other place I should put the cache folder?

Larry7

24 October 2010 at 2:47pm

OK I think I fixed it but I hope I didn't use a sledgehammer to crack a walnut!

I set the permissions on the silverstripe-cache folder and all folders and files below that to 777 to owner, group and public. That seemed to fix the problem but I hope I haven't opened up some backdoor or something

Sean

Forum Moderator, 922 Posts

25 October 2010 at 11:51am

Edited: 25/10/2010 11:52am

I think a better way would be to delete the silverstripe-cache directory, re-create it as a normal user and then make the web server user the owner. This way you don't have to do any chmod of files, and it's probably more secure.

Not sure what your web server user is, but common examples are www-data, http and _www. You can probably find it out by using top and checking the http processes to see the user they're running as. You could probably check the phpinfo() output and seeing who the user is from there.

Example:

chown www-data /path/to/silverstripe-cache

Sean

biapar

Forum Moderator, 435 Posts

10 December 2010 at 10:15pm