Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Installing SilverStripe /

Getting SilverStripe up and running on your computer and on your web server.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

CMS folder not accessable?

Go to End

6 Posts   1350 Views

Noob2CMS

Community Member, 6 Posts

16 December 2010 at 4:36am

Edited: 16/12/2010 4:41am

Hi all

I am a total newbie if it is about CMS so be gently with me :)
Installation online on the server worked great. The well known login problem with not having access to the webbased CMS after login out the first time I solved, after I add following code line:

Requirements::set_combined_files_enabled(false);
in the file /cms/mysite/_config.php
My first question: this doesn't harm, is it the right file in the right folder?, my comment: If known already for month as I have found out on this forum, why not updating the known issue so newbies like me (struggling with new software) don't need to find out themselfs and have to go on this forum to find out it is a well known issue.
Secondly in my opinion a real problem (for me) I have is following:
I use WinSCP for uploading and till a certain point it works always flawless (already for years never had a problem), but I can not access the folder named cms?! HELP...
Folders like assets, themes and so on..no problem. Permission on this cms folder is 755 like the other folders, changing it to 777 or whatever still not give me access to this folder. Is this a problem because I do some wrong, is this a problem because my host has a certain setting so I can't access?Or is this meant to be and if so, why? My lack of knowledge forced me to go and ask here.

Looking forward for a answer/solution.

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

16 December 2010 at 11:09am

My first question: this doesn't harm, is it the right file in the right folder?, my comment: If known already for month as I have found out on this forum, why not updating the known issue so newbies like me (struggling with new software) don't need to find out themselfs and have to go on this forum to find out it is a well known issue.

All configuration options for your site should go into your mysite/_config.php file. Try not to edit the cms and sapphire directories as this will make upgrading your site harder.

but I can not access the folder named cms

How are you trying to access it? To get to the CMS in the webbrowser you visit yoursite.com/admin (not /cms)

Noob2CMS

16 December 2010 at 2:20pm

Hi Willr

Ok maybe I should refraise it, I have edit following file at following place....root/mysite/_config.php. This is in the root of 1 of our sub-domains done.(We have a site with 900+ pages and over 30+GB img, so I would not even (dare) think about the actual site lol)

Quote: How are you trying to access it? To get to the CMS in the webbrowser you visit yoursite.com/admin (not /cms) End quote.

With WinSCP to look/see what is happening in that folder(online). Yes I know the webbased login (else I wouldn't have the issue by not being able to login to the CMS after logoff the first time as admin).
At the moment I have the cms not installed on my own local server. We have a 60MB internet connection and so far no (delay) problems.

Noob2CMS

20 December 2010 at 5:10am

Is it only me having the problems with this folder: root/cms which seems to be locked (not accessable)?

martimiz

Forum Moderator, 1391 Posts

20 December 2010 at 5:33am

I don't think this is by design. I use WinSCP a lot and I can access/write to any files within the SilverStripe installation - that is if the account I use has the proper rights.

Noob2CMS

20 December 2010 at 8:33am

Edited: 21/12/2010 4:56pm

WinSCP is (imho) a nice tool and works great, without any doubt. I looked up the agreements with the webhoster we made and it seems that "normaly" we have to upgrade to be able to use their tools for using a CMS. (still it is real cheap for what we get but....anyway)
So what I did was just for a sec to rename the specific folder named cms to just another name....outcome..duh..I can open that folder.
This makes me kinda..grrr. I will contact tomorrow the webhost and ask what is going on because imho it is not "friendly". Eventhow the cms (SilverStripe) works without renaming that folder but I have through WinSCP no access to see what happends/changes "inside" that folder with certain files, and to be honest..I don't like that.
Anyway I have, after clearing out the why/how with the webhoster, to decide if I am able to make this work, because I realy have to dive in the deep if it is about php (huge lack of knowledge of php from my side) and a running site with far over 900 pages will bring a lot of work ugh.

Thank you for responding.