Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Installing SilverStripe /

Getting SilverStripe up and running on your computer and on your web server.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

tmp directory not writable?

Go to End

5 Posts   3476 Views

mhdesign

Community Member, 216 Posts

10 March 2011 at 2:29pm

Edited: 10/03/2011 2:31pm

Hi all. Just attempting my third SilverStripe install on a server (yes, I'm a newb). Have not had any problems before but now I'm getting the following:

User 't1trigirl' needs to be able to write to this file:/var/tmp//silverstripe-cache

The file is currently owned by 'jcaseley'. There is no user-group that contains both the web-server user and the owner of this file. Change the ownership of the file, create a new group, or temporarily make the file writeable by everyone during the install process.

Can anybody tell me where /var/tmp//silverstripe-cache would be? And who is this 'jcaseley' anyway?

Attached Files
swaiba

Forum Moderator, 1899 Posts

10 March 2011 at 9:05pm

unix file permissions :) yay :)

I can only assume t1trigirl & jcaseley are users on your unix box... but I'd recomend you create a 'silverstripe-cache' folder in your webroot - silverstripe will then use that instead of '/var/tmp//silverstripe-cache'.

Also there are setfacl, chown and chmod commands to look into to change permissions to folders it this continues.

mhdesign

10 March 2011 at 9:43pm

Edited: 10/03/2011 9:49pm

t1trigirl is a legitimate user, no idea who jcaseley is!

Tried creating a folder called silverstripe-cache inside the tmp folder on the root directory to no avail. Thanks for your idea though -- I'll give it a try! Have already looked a chown/chmod... but when you can't find the correct directory it has no effect!

Hey what do you know? It worked!! Cool!!

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

11 March 2011 at 5:49pm

Tried creating a folder called silverstripe-cache inside the tmp folder on the root directory to no avail. Thanks for your idea though -- I'll give it a try

I think you misread swaiba's post. Try create one in your SilverStripe root (same level as cms, sapphire etc). Normally you have full permissions to your site directory and not to tmp. After adding that, run a ?flush=1

mhdesign

11 March 2011 at 9:39pm

Edited: 11/03/2011 9:40pm

Thanks for your comment Willr. That was what I did and now everything's up and running. I am puzzled as to why it happened, however? I have done other SS installations to server without this problem.

The first solution was suggested by my web hosting company and no, it didn't work!

Great forum and great support!