Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Installing SilverStripe /

Getting SilverStripe up and running on your computer and on your web server.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

[SOLVED] My host can't support SS3 - what version can I install?

Go to End

2 Posts   1073 Views

Spaghetti

Community Member, 32 Posts

23 August 2012 at 8:55pm

Edited: 24/08/2012 2:07am

Disaster struct today when I found out to my horror that SS 3 requires PHP 5.3.2 and my host provider (who shall remain nameless) only supports 5.2.17 on their basic packages (because of some backwards compatibility issue with other software). humph...

This is a nightmare for me because I'm very dependant on SilverStripe and I can't easily switch hosts (not in the short run anyway).

My only option, short term is to install a previous version of Silverstripe that uses PHP 5.2 - looking in the repo I can see that a lot of 2.4 security patches seem to require php 5.32 - now this seems rather odd that a minor release of a software package would require a major upgrade of PHP!

If I go direct to the 2.4 branch I can see that only requires 5.2 but I have no idea if this incorporates the security patches or not.

So my question is, what's the latest, most stable version I can install of silverstripe with php 5.2?

EDIT: answer: 2.4 only - (works with latest security patch for 2.4).

Spaghetti

Community Member, 32 Posts

23 August 2012 at 11:32pm

By the way, back-porting something coded in version 3 to version 2.4 is no picknick either. I managed it but I had to change both my theme and the 'mysite' code in several places. Not very nice.