Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Installing SilverStripe /

Getting SilverStripe up and running on your computer and on your web server.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Problem using Windows Installer with win2008rc2+mssql

Go to End

11 Posts   3312 Views

bb-drummer

Community Member, 14 Posts

10 November 2012 at 1:31am

Hello!

I have a problem installing SS3 via the 'web plattfrom installer package':

i downloaded win2008rc2 server from the ms-site and run the SS3 installer package,
every component seems to get installed, but when it comes to SS itself (i guess),
i get an error saying either my 'sa' password may be incorrect or there is an error connecting to the db-server...

the whole system runs just with its default settings (well, i had to turn off IEs enhanced security mode to get the 'web plattform installer' to run).
since i am not quite familiar with ms-server setups in deep detail, can somebody please point me to a direction how this could be solved...

YT
BB

Sean

Forum Moderator, 922 Posts

12 November 2012 at 1:23pm

Edited: 12/11/2012 1:27pm

Hi bb-drummer,

Sorry to hear you had troubles installing with the MS platform installer.

Could you post the exact error you're getting, and the error backtrace?

Usually when the sa password doesn't work there's something wrong with the way SQL Server has been setup, the sa account should work fine as the platform installer creates that account, as well as a SilverStripe-specific database account (e.g. "ssuser" when setting up SQL Server, so not entirely sure why that happens.)

One other thing to check is SQL Server is running (jump into Windows Control Panel and search for "Services" and go into "View local services" under Administrative Tools.)
In the list of services, scroll down to SQL Server (SQLEXPRESS) and confirm the Status column has "Started".

Lastly, if you edit the _ss_environment.php file (located where the platform installer put SilverStripe files) you should see something like this:

/* This defines a default database user */
define('SS_DATABASE_SERVER', '.\SQLExpress');
define('SS_DATABASE_USERNAME', 'ssuser43');
define('SS_DATABASE_PASSWORD','3q8Qdnd*%]_c');

Could you confirm that has details like the above there?

Hope that provides some leads,

Sean

bb-drummer

16 November 2012 at 10:42pm

Hi Sean!

thanks for your reply... finally, i found out (but don't know if that has anything to do with this one here having installed an evaluation copy of win-server) i had to explicitly install .Net3.5-features during the initial/startup server-setup. if i don't and let the web-installer do its .Net4 installation, the setup process quits its service as mentioned above...

could you imagine any reasons for this?

however, after that 'successful' installation, i got '500' errors complaining about an invalid 'web.config' file, i still have to figure that out, but my guess is, i messed up something @ the path's setup...

thanks a lot for your help!

YT
BB

bb-drummer

16 November 2012 at 11:39pm

... ok... now leaving all path and hostname setting at its defaults during setup, i still get '500' errors due to an invalid 'web.config' file (see attached pic)
well, the config-file 's path is looking somewhat 'weird': "\\?\C:\inetpub\wwwroot\of-infonet\web.config"
i don't know really, i am no windows-admin, but does it have to be that way (with that "\\?\" in the beginning) ?

any help is much appreciated!

YT
BB

Attached Files
bb-drummer

17 November 2012 at 12:05am

...according to the error-code in that error message, it's due to an invalid formated xml-document (either "applicationHost.config" or 'web.config')...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942055

any glue what could have gone wrong?

YT
BB

Sean

Forum Moderator, 922 Posts

19 November 2012 at 9:04am

Usually the error is there because the IIS rewrite module isn't installed... could you confirm that has been installed with the platform software?

bb-drummer

19 November 2012 at 8:16pm

hi Sean,

seems the rewrite module has not been installed with the plattform installer (can't find it anywhere).
Is it supposed to install trough the plattform installer or do i have to install it when setting up the webserver?
Is there a way to install it after that process, or do I have to do it all over again...

YT
BB

bb-drummer

20 November 2012 at 3:35am

Edited: 20/11/2012 3:36am

ok...

with the help of another 'friend' (yes: google sometimes *g* is your/my friend) i just found:

http://www.iis.net/learn/extensions/url-rewrite-module/using-the-url-rewrite-module

quite easy, isn't it *blush*

and now... after solving some permission issues, restarting the server for the {n}-th time now (and hoping to finally get to SS's default website and admin UI) a SQL error-message pops up (please see attached txt-file)...

what is it, that may be went wrong during installation? i couldn't imagine it being that complicated to install SS on win...

thanxs a lot for your help!

YT
BB

Attached Files
Go to Top