Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Installing SilverStripe /

Getting SilverStripe up and running on your computer and on your web server.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

How to configure SS after install

Go to End

5 Posts   1600 Views

sylco

Community Member, 10 Posts

18 March 2013 at 12:07pm

Ok, here we go...

I have a Windows XP Pro SP3 (IIS 5.1) that has been my home Web server for quite some time now. I would like to have a go at using SilverStripe to revamp this presently rudimentary site. I was hoping that the Microsoft Web Platform Installer would take care of everything, but it didn’t seem to work. I then decided to install PHP, MySQL and unpack the SS (Option 1 package) in the wwwroot folder, but I am stuck here. I would now like to configure SS but when I try to load the index.php page in a browser, I get a 500 error which is probably too generic to troubleshoot:

IE error message (HTTP 500):
- The website is under maintenance.
- The website has a programming error.

There are probably quite a few things that would need to be configured right, but I really have no clue where to start. I have searched extensively for some simple step by step debugging, but I don’t seem to get anywhere and I would like to avoid making things worse by applying the wrong solutions.

Looking for any help on this one.

Thanks!

Sean

Forum Moderator, 922 Posts

19 March 2013 at 9:19am

You will have issues with old versions of Windows and IIS, they're not supported and untested. URL rewriting isn't supported either.

To be honest, the time you'll need to spend debugging getting SilverStripe running on an old web server isn't worth it. Instead, I'd install WampServer which gives you the whole LAMP stack out of the box.

sylco

19 March 2013 at 3:16pm

Hi Sean, thanks for the suggestion. Worked great so far.

I did a system restore to remove all PHP and MySQL that I had previously installed and downloaded and installed WampServer. Well, I would say it was a little easier, indeed! I think I have a well configure AMP right now and I would just need to install SilverStripe. Would you say that it is necessary to secure WampServer beforehand, as it is suggested here:

http://securitymecca.com/article/install-and-secure-a-wamp-webserver/

Or, is this overkill?

Also, do I need to perform Step 6, here, before installing SilverStripe?

http://doc.silverstripe.org/framework/en/installation/windows-wamp

I didn’t even know that a full package including Apache could be installed on Windows... It would be nice if I actually had a clue what I am getting into just to revamp my Website... :-)

Thanks again.

Sean

Forum Moderator, 922 Posts

20 March 2013 at 10:00am

Edited: 20/03/2013 10:01am

Hi there,

Securing WampServer that way is probably a good idea. I would definitely do step 6 modifying my.ini before installing SilverStripe.

Cheers,
Sean

sylco

21 March 2013 at 8:49am

Thanks Sean! Works great!

I just have a problem with Themes, but will create another thread for this.