Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Installing SilverStripe /

Getting SilverStripe up and running on your computer and on your web server.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Installing SS3 on FastCGI because of permission problems?

Go to End

3 Posts   1474 Views

LinseyM

Community Member, 99 Posts

15 April 2013 at 9:23pm

Hey guys,

I'm wondering if anyone can answer this query before I proceed with this, and possibly cause myself a world of pain!

I'm on a VPS with Namesco and I have no problem setting up & installing SS using the Apache module. However, I've realised that when the system creates a directory folder (such as left&main) I am unable to delete it via FTP or the control panel, and I have to email support and get them to remove it for me. The support team told me that it is because when Apache creates the file / directory, it becomes the owner. They suggested in my hosting I set up using FastCGI instead of Apache as in most cases this will run the scripts as the script owner, and circumvent this problem.

However, I'm a bit worried about trying to run it in FastCGI as I've never done it before and I really don't have time to try and pick my way through an installation if it doesn't go smoothly.

So, 2 questions really:

1) Is there any other way to stop apache from claiming ownership of the dirs it creates?

and

2) if not, is it a relatively pain-free process to run SS3 on FastCGI instead of the preferred Apache module? What are the issues, if any? (I had a look at the docs but could only find info on lighttpd)

Thanks as always for your feedback,

L x

LinseyM

Community Member, 99 Posts

15 April 2013 at 11:23pm

Right away I'm having installation problems: cannot write to /tmp/silverstripe-cache as it needs to be writeable / is owned by Apache.

I've got a cache folder in the root, which is writeable, but clearly that's not what is being referenced here. Argh!

(if I change hosting over to Apache then recheck the config then the error message disappears)

Fuzz10

Community Member, 791 Posts

17 April 2013 at 7:30pm

Hi Linsey,

Running SS in FastCGI should not be a problem. For the same reason , we run all of our sites that way too....