Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Installing SilverStripe /

Getting SilverStripe up and running on your computer and on your web server.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

SS3.1 beta3 - SAFE MODE Restriction in effect

Go to End

8 Posts   4520 Views

Nobrainer Web

Community Member, 138 Posts

2 May 2013 at 7:45pm

Edited: 02/05/2013 10:45pm

Hi,

I need help installing SilverStripe 3 on my host. I have a lot of Silverstripe 2 installations running on the servers at that host, and i would like to continue using them.

The host has safe_mode = on and it has not been a problem before.

When i try to install 3.1 beta3 i get the following error (short version actually is 4 similar errors):

Warning: realpath() [function.realpath]: SAFE MODE Restriction in effect. The script whose uid is 593 is not allowed to access /var/www owned by uid 505 in /var/www/example.com/public_html/framework/core/Core.php on line 64

I then just go and outcomment framework/core/Core.php line 54 - 64 (they handle Include _ss_environment.php files) after that i get directed to install.php.

Install.php has the following error:

Warning: realpath() [function.realpath]: SAFE MODE Restriction in effect. The script whose uid is 593 is not allowed to access /var/www owned by uid 505 in /var/www/example.com/public_html/framework/dev/install/install.php5 on line 51

It's again the function for including environment files - i leave it there and silverstripe installs.

Visiting the site now gives the error:

[Warning] is_readable() [function.is-readable]: open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/usr/local/lib/php/Zend/Translate/Adapter/I18nRailsYamlAdapter.php) is not within the allowed path(s): (/var/www/example.com/:/var/www/tmp/)

I'm stuck

The funny part is that i actually tried the install 2 times, first time i somehow managed to get the system running. Then i decided to try again to be able to document the problems, and now i'm not able to get it running.

I hope that someone will help me and others in the same situation - it's really frustrating not to be able to install my system og choice on my host.

UPDATE: After another install where i just manually opened /install.php, i have the site running, except for a 4 warnings:

Warning: realpath() [function.realpath]: SAFE MODE Restriction in effect. The script whose uid is 593 is not allowed to access /var/www owned by uid 505 in /var/www/example.com/public_html/framework/core/Core.php on line 64

The problem seems just to be with including the "_ss_environment.php" file - a file i dont even think i'm using.
However, if i outcomment the lines that do the search for _ss_environment.php, i get the error:

[Warning] is_readable() [function.is-readable]: open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/usr/local/lib/php/Zend/Translate/Adapter/I18nRailsYamlAdapter.php) is not within the allowed path(s): (/var/www/example.com/:/var/www/tmp/)

Nobrainer Web

2 May 2013 at 10:45pm

SOLVED!

I surpressed the errors produced by realpath in framework/core/Core.php, by prfixing it with a @.
I then tried to figure out what was going on with the error:

My webhost was not able to see any errors produced, site looked ok. I tried from a different browser and no problem???
After removing cookies on my main browser, no errors was produced here either.
I guess something was left in the session - i have no idea what or how that can happen.

Nobrainer Web

2 May 2013 at 10:53pm

Setting Director::set_environment_type to dev (Director::set_environment_type("dev");) produces the error again:

I prefixed surpressed the warning from is_readable on line 198 of framework/thirdparty/Zend/Loader.php with a @ (if (@is_readable($file)) {) and it's working so far.

Liam

Community Member, 470 Posts

24 May 2013 at 2:05am

How did this turn out for you?

I have a client that is hosted on a server with safe_mode on and there is nothing I can do about moving or disabling.

New project so I don't have access yet and want to see if it will work before planning too much.

Nobrainer Web

24 May 2013 at 4:19am

Hi Liam,

It is running on the server after the described changes and the performance also seems to be ok.
My solution is hosted at unoeuro.com - and they do say they have special setup in place to try to avoid problems with safe_mode = on.

Liam

Community Member, 470 Posts

24 May 2013 at 5:04am

Okay thanks.

I guess I'll move ahead. The issue is that currently they're on a server with < php 5.3 within this company and the company will move the sites to a newer server they have with 5.3+ but cgi+safe_mode. I can't access it until the move so didn't want to do all of this only to find out it won't work, especially since they're charging us a move fee.

And because of politics I can't change webhosts. My only other choice would be to use WordPress or something but I'd rather not.

Fingers crossed but it seems like it should work.

gerrut

Community Member, 3 Posts

29 May 2013 at 11:25pm

The problem is probably relating to restrictions on the cace folder. This is easy to solve as follows:

Create a directory in your root and name it like 'silverstripe-cache', the name does not really matter.

CHMOD the directory to 777 (everyone should have write access)

Now create a php file called _ss_environment.php in your root directory. This file should look something like:

<?php
define('TEMP_FOLDER', '[abspath]/silverstripe-cache');
?>

With [abspath] being the absolute path to the root directory. For example /www/htdocs/mysite .

Hope this helps.

PeterNL

Community Member, 9 Posts

7 August 2013 at 1:50am

Thanks that worked out for me.

Greetz Peter