Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Installing SilverStripe /

Getting SilverStripe up and running on your computer and on your web server.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

SS3 install: No theme, Very slow

Go to End

10 Posts   4982 Views

mikeshow

Community Member, 5 Posts

3 November 2013 at 1:39am

Hi everyone,

I have downloaded the zip archive for Windows. Created a MySql database, run the website without having done any modification to the package. The install went with no problem. At the end I got the welcome page with the message "installation successful!".

Problem is:

- the pages have white background and just text, no theme.
- the site is eeeeexxxxxtttttrrrrreeeeemmmmmeeeeelllllyyyyy ssssslllllooooowwwww. 15 seconds to display a page.

My config: Windows 8.0 Pro 64bit / IIS8 / SilverStripe 3.1.1 / MySql 5.6.11 (innodb engine) / PHP 5.5.3 nts Win32 VC11 / PHP XDebug 2.2.3 5.5 VC11 nts.

Note that I run Wordpress 3.5.1 and Concrete5 5.6.2.1 with no problem.

I hope someone knows what has to be configured because I spent hours trying to find an answer browsing the Internet and found nothing, which is not very encouraging cause I can't believe I'm the only one with that config having that problem.

PS: I did find the thing about the directory write rights, I have modified the rights of the /assets dir with no changes, I even went to give full control to the entire hierarchy with no more luck.

Thanks.

Sean

Forum Moderator, 922 Posts

4 November 2013 at 11:44am

Edited: 04/11/2013 11:45am

Have you tried using "127.0.0.1" as the database server instead of "localhost"? Sounds like DNS resolution issues, maybe.

Also, just to confirm, IIS/PHP is able to create a silverstripe-cache folder somewhere in C:\Windows\Temp correctly?

mikeshow

5 November 2013 at 1:29am

Edited: 05/11/2013 1:34am

Hi,

By default I use '127.0.0.1' instead of 'localhost' as I discovered that it is what works with concrete5.
And yes the 'silverstripe-cache' dir is created in 'windows/temp' and empty.

Sean

5 November 2013 at 9:46am

There should be another dir in the temp folder called "silverstripe-cache-Cinetpub-wwwroot" for example.
Do you see that? It should have cache files generated by SilverStripe.

mikeshow

5 November 2013 at 8:39pm

Hi Sean,

I don't have that other directory.

Sean

6 November 2013 at 9:27am

Edited: 06/11/2013 9:27am

Sounds like the SS temp dir wasn't created correctly, or is re-generating each request, hence the slowness.

Try adding a "silverstripe-cache" directory into the directory where SilverStripe was installed. Then give this directory write permissions for IIS.

Sean

mikeshow

6 November 2013 at 8:51pm

Hi Sean,

Thanks for the help, but no change. Don't waste any time with me, I give up with SilverStripe and move onto something else.

Mike.

camfindlay

Forum Moderator, 267 Posts

18 November 2013 at 7:53pm

Edited: 18/11/2013 7:53pm

Hey Mike,

Just an idea, unless you absolutely have to use IIS, have a go at running SilverStripe on a virtual box with a linux VM. https://www.virtualbox.org/ Found that was always a handy way to do some development work on SilverStripe when on a windows box. Depends on the intended end server of course though.

Go to Top