Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Installing SilverStripe /

Getting SilverStripe up and running on your computer and on your web server.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

admin for 3.1.2 takes forever to load

Go to End

7 Posts   2740 Views

BenWu

Community Member, 97 Posts

19 January 2014 at 2:32am

Edited: 19/01/2014 6:26am

I have been using 2.4 and 3.0 without any problem. but now i found more and more modules are made for 3.1 so i guess i have to use 3.1

I have tried earlier version of 3.1 before but i always got stuck on loading the admin. I thought 3.1.2 would be better but it's not. It takes minutes to load the admin. Please see the screenshot of my browser (I have tried on Chrome/Safari/IE9). It looks like 'treeview' and 'listview' takes minutes. I git clone the latest framework & cms from github but the same problem.

I searched google but found nothing. Am I the only lonely unlucky one here? I reported this problem 2 months ago http://www.silverstripe.org/customising-the-cms/show/25617#post325268

Attached Files
Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

19 January 2014 at 10:18pm

Perhaps try something like XHProf to reveal where the delay is coming from? Make sure you haven't got any code the calls clear cache in dev (as some developers do) in 3.1 the cache now takes a lot longer to generate so you really only want to run it when you have to.

BenWu

24 March 2014 at 11:04pm

Now I found out that if I put SS in dev mode, the admin takes forever to load. However, if it is in Live mode, the admin is fast. Still can not figure out why.

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

25 March 2014 at 1:19pm

Make sure you haven't included the commonly sent around script to always run ?flush=1 on dev. This is unnecessary and will cause a massive slow down. XHProf is a good tool for identifying slow parts of an application.

kinglozzer

Community Member, 187 Posts

26 March 2014 at 6:13am

I'm placing my bets on TinyMCE being at fault - I had an identical issue that was caused by that. Check your network tab in your browser and see how long any requests to TinyMCE are taking, worth checking. For me, it'd get stuck for around 10 seconds mid-way through a request.

The fix for me (I'm on OS X) was quite a strange one: I had to add my 'sharing' name to /etc/hosts:

loz.local 127.0.0.1

Might be worth a shot :)

BenWu

26 March 2014 at 6:28am

I already uploaded the screenshot of the browser network tab
http://www.silverstripe.org/assets/Uploads/ss-3.1-admin.png

It's not the TinyMCE . It takes 2 minutes to get 'treeview'/'listview' html into the Siteree panel. If I right click on 'Treeview' and copy the link, paste into browser address bar, i can get the content of 'treeview' quickly this way. That means Jquery call is avoided this way.

Therefore I think it's my browers' jquery calling to fetch Treeview html that takes long time. My PC is behind a squid proxy and i am not sure if that affects it. When I went to client's office, the CMS admin gives me no problem at all.

I now believe it's the network setting somewhere that makes the jquery fetch takes more than 2 minutes. however, i am not sure how to find out and confirm my suspicion.

Willr asked me to use XHProf to diagnosis. But i already got the Chrome network tab screenshot.

catcher

Community Member, 5 Posts

27 June 2015 at 9:27am

Old thread, but I just encountered something similar (~20 seconds on TreeView, another 9 on ListView).
I profiled it & tracked it down to an extension I had applied to DataObject.

I grant custom CRUD permissions on all DOs via this extension; fine until the site collects tons of Pages (which extend SiteTree, which extend DO). My permission code was running for every single page in the tree in addition to the CMS checks.

I solved this by returning no val if the owner is a subclass of SiteTree, which bypasses my checks & defers to CMS checks. Took my TreeView load from 20s to 1.5s.

Hope this helps you, or someone else.