Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We're retiring the forums!

The SilverStripe forums have passed their heyday. They'll stick around, but will be read only. We'd encourage you to get involved in the community via the following channels instead:

Installing SilverStripe /

Getting SilverStripe up and running on your computer and on your web server.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

staticpublisher rsync problem

Go to End

3 Posts   1897 Views


Community Member, 22 Posts

3 February 2009 at 11:49am


First of all I would like to congrat you for a really great CMS!

My question belongs to the "staticpublisher":
I've tried to get this working with a cms server and a live server. Both have ssh access and rsync installed.

Here is my current config within _config.php: (webmin a user of the live server whom has access to the web dir)

Object::add_extension("SiteTree", "RsyncMultiHostPublisher('cache/', 'html')");

Where to put the password?

After dev/buildcache?flush=1 the output says == Done! ==, but sadly no data has been transfered to the live-server.

Has someone an idea why?

Many thanks and best regards,


Forum Moderator, 801 Posts

5 February 2009 at 9:22am

Hey Björn, you're right, currently RSyncMultiHostPublisher doesn't support password authentication - it relies on key-based authentication for the selected user. I've opened a new enhancement ticket for supporting password auth as well:

As for your publishing problems, can you confirm that the rsync command in RsyncMultiHostPublisher->publishPages() is actually fired?


Community Member, 22 Posts

5 February 2009 at 11:44am

Hi Ingo!

Thanks for the quick replay. Yes I can confirm, that the publishPages() get fired but not the rsync command.

This is the loop of the rsync command:

foreach(self::$targets as $target) {
  // Transfer non-PHP content from everything to the target; that will ensure that we have all the JS/CSS/etc
  $rsyncOutput = `cd $base; rsync -av -e ssh --exclude /.htaccess --exclude '*.php' --exclude '*.svn' --exclude '*~' --delete . $target`;
  // Then transfer "safe" PHP from the cache/ directory
  $rsyncOutput .= `cd $base; rsync -av -e ssh --exclude '*.svn' --exclude '*~' --delete cache $target`;
  if(StaticPublisher::echo_progress()) echo $rsyncOutput;

It seemed to me that the

is incorrect as well as the
echo $rsyncOutput;

After changing this to

echo system($rsyncOutput);
and doing the ssh access via public keys I'm able to transfer :-)

Many thanks and best regards,