Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Installing SilverStripe /

Getting SilverStripe up and running on your computer and on your web server.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Sort of a big error with the RC

Go to End

7 Posts   2422 Views

OscarGodson

Community Member, 9 Posts

3 February 2009 at 2:58pm

Edited: 03/02/2009 2:59pm

XML Parsing Error: not well-formed
Line Number 45, Column 75:
<div id="SilverStripeNavigatorMessage" title='Note: this message won't be shown to your visitors...

this is the first thing I see everytime installing SS's new RC in "tutorial" mode. For those who want to fix this quickly and who will be skinning this fast go to:
saphire>core>control>ContentController.php and go to line: 247, 252, and 257 and delete the

\'
in the
won\'t
in the sentence
<div id=\"SilverStripeNavigatorMessage\" title='". _t('ContentControl.NOTEWONTBESHOWN', 'Note: this message won\'t be shown to your visitors

Seems a little weird to miss this in a 3rd RC for a CMS that requires you to stick to XHTML 1.1 :)

dgw

Community Member, 3 Posts

21 February 2009 at 9:20am

This is a problem in the nested branch also.

Oscar, thanks for tracking down the file.

alirobe

Community Member, 35 Posts

24 February 2009 at 5:49pm

Edited: 25/02/2009 12:57am

I just got this error upgrading from 2.2.3 to 2.3.0.0 final! I fixed it by removing three /' from /sapphire/core/control/ContentController.php

OscarGodson

25 February 2009 at 7:34am

Wow, I honestly can't believe they would release it like that. It's honestly like no one tests the stuff. I love SilverStripe, but my work and I are starting to go to just WP and customizing it because SS seems too unstable and almost like no one cares :( I'm not talking about just this one thing either.

This problem (and many others) would be completely fixed to if they didn't use XHTML 1.1, which in this case, I don't see a positive to it. I mean, it's a CMS and it is this strict with a DOCTYPE???

Hamish

Community Member, 712 Posts

25 February 2009 at 8:29am

There is a lot of stuff to test, especially with such a large release. Perhaps the jump from 2.2.3 to 2.3 was too ambitious, but they've made an effort to ensure that future releases are more incremental. 2.3.1 will deal with these sorts of fixes and should not be far off.

I hope that if you and your work have been using SilverStripe, that you've put some time back into the project in the way of testing release candidates and adding tickets as you find issues. That is the best way to ensure that it works as you expected when stable versions are released.

It doesn't look like anyone has ticketed this issue yet - I'll do it now.

OscarGodson

25 February 2009 at 8:53am

Don't get me wrong. I think SilverStripe is awesome. It's great, but it needs quite a bit of work to make it stable rather than adding features like "ModelAdmin" and such IMO

I'll be better about adding tickets. I honestly didn't think this could be looked over is all. I could recreate on different OSs repeatedly and on the installation. There is only two options for the installation so I thought this error was unavoidable and surely one developer would pick the tutorial choice. :P

My fear is this bug is in there and it's open to the public and a lot of people will be using the tutorial installation and then just give up on SS altogether.

Hamish

Community Member, 712 Posts

25 February 2009 at 8:55am

hummm, so it looks like there was a ticket already, that was supposed to be on 2.3.1 but for some reason got stuck to 2.3.2:

http://open.silverstripe.com/ticket/3508

I'm looking at it - it says: "milestone changed from 2.3.0 stable* to 2.3.1" two weeks ago, but it still has milestone 2.3.2. I know some wierdness happened with they changed their trac workflow.