Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Installing SilverStripe /

Getting SilverStripe up and running on your computer and on your web server.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Getting mod_rewrite to work correctly

Go to End

3 Posts   3316 Views

Attunga

Community Member, 2 Posts

1 May 2014 at 9:42am

Edited: 01/05/2014 9:54am

I am playing around with getting SilverStripe installed on a local Ubuntu 14.04 installation.

During the initial installation page it asked me to enable mod_rewrite and I did this to the point it detected it as working, then during the installation itself it was detecting that mod_rewrite was not working.

I then did some reading and put the following into my apache configuration

(/etc/apache2/sites-enabled/000-default.conf)

<Directory /var/www/html>
Options Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews
AllowOverride All
Order allow,deny
allow from all
</Directory>

This has sort of left things in a half working state. The installation completes and if I force it to work with the url rewriting it kind of works but then reverts back with other links. It seems that if I manually type in the url for the about or contact page, then all links works correctly but if I try to go back to home it wants to start using the /index.php/[pagename] style of link.

Does the above look ok? Any other ideas from anyone?

Attunga

Community Member, 2 Posts

3 May 2014 at 9:57am

oh well .. I am almost giving up on SilverStripe but I do suspect that the issue has something to do with the way SilverStripe is working in with the latest Ubuntu LTS.

I have followed this page: http://www.dev-metal.com/enable-mod_rewrite-ubuntu-14-04-lts/ And still get the same issue but dropping back to the previous LTS I have no problems, SilverStripe works as expected.

Everything work very well on another CMS with the latest LTS, I think I am just going to run with that one, it has a far bigger community and range of add-on's and themes available in an easy to search format anyway. SilverStripe would do well with something like that.

Might come back one day and have another look at SilverStripe if it fixes it's issues and has more of a community. I do like the idea of the framework being integrated and available for integrated applications, that is great feature.

camfindlay

Forum Moderator, 267 Posts

9 May 2014 at 12:25pm

Hi there,

This may be related to the version of apache being run on the latest LTS of Ubuntu. The apache httpd.conf directive have slightly changed between version 2.2 and 2.4 of Apache.

See https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/silverstripe-dev/-xH6yZfC5Tc explaining the issue and instructions to fix.