Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Installing SilverStripe /

Getting SilverStripe up and running on your computer and on your web server.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Site transfer results in blank pages

Go to End

5 Posts   2035 Views

Community Member, 26 Posts

18 February 2009 at 1:25am

I have uploaded an SS site developed on my local server to a production server. The install process was successful. I then uploaded the relevant changed files and the theme that I developed and used file-based phpMyAdmin export - import (SQL, with DROP TABLES etc) to migrate the database.

All I get on the production site is a blank page - independent of what I try to view. The HTML returned is

"<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=windows-1252">
<META content=pagefullyloaded></HEAD>

I have checked forum entries dealing with site migration to the web server and made sure that i follow the process meticulously.

I really am lost (and frustrated).

Any ideas?

19 February 2009 at 10:27pm

I have now tested this by:
1. Installing a clean version of SS
2. Uploading only the extended classes into mysite/code
3. Building the DB

So far so good. Then I upload my new theme and change mysite/_config.php to point to that theme. Result: blank pages.

Now here's the weird part: I then overwrite my theme files and folders with the blackcandy theme and flush.

Still blank pages.

This is a complete showstopper for me and I have clients waiting. Any ideas (apart from trying a different CMS?)

19 February 2009 at 11:25pm

I have realised that what is happening is that any attempt to set the theme to anything but blackcandy fails. Awesome.

So I installed my theme under themes/blackcandy. I don't get a blank page. This is an improvement. I also don't, however, get any reference to my template - but rather a residual blackcandy template decimated by my CSS. I assume this is some sort of caching problem.

Is there something about my server that might be causing all this insanity? Bear in mind that I had this entire site working under WAMP - I'm simply trying to transfer.

19 February 2009 at 11:42pm

PS: just to be certain that the problem didn't lie with the specifics of my theme I downloaded the latest theme from your 'Extensions' area and tried changing to that theme without success. Blank pages once again.

21 February 2009 at 12:28am

Reading through this post i realise that my tone may have descended into the derogatory. I didn't intend that - I was just getting frustrated. I'm sure the problem is just some minor issue w.r.t. the Linux hosting - any ideas where i could start looking?