Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Installing SilverStripe /

Getting SilverStripe up and running on your computer and on your web server.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Site transfer results in blank pages

Go to End

5 Posts   2521 Views

Moose

Community Member, 26 Posts

18 February 2009 at 1:25am

Hi

I have uploaded an SS site developed on my local server to a production server. The install process was successful. I then uploaded the relevant changed files and the theme that I developed and used file-based phpMyAdmin export - import (SQL, with DROP TABLES etc) to migrate the database.

All I get on the production site is a blank page - independent of what I try to view. The HTML returned is

"<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=windows-1252">
<META content=pagefullyloaded></HEAD>
<BODY></BODY></HTML>"

I have checked forum entries dealing with site migration to the web server and made sure that i follow the process meticulously.

I really am lost (and frustrated).

Any ideas?

Moose

19 February 2009 at 10:27pm

I have now tested this by:
1. Installing a clean version of SS
2. Uploading only the extended classes into mysite/code
3. Building the DB

So far so good. Then I upload my new theme and change mysite/_config.php to point to that theme. Result: blank pages.

Now here's the weird part: I then overwrite my theme files and folders with the blackcandy theme and flush.

Still blank pages.

This is a complete showstopper for me and I have clients waiting. Any ideas (apart from trying a different CMS?)

Moose

19 February 2009 at 11:25pm

I have realised that what is happening is that any attempt to set the theme to anything but blackcandy fails. Awesome.

So I installed my theme under themes/blackcandy. I don't get a blank page. This is an improvement. I also don't, however, get any reference to my Page.ss template - but rather a residual blackcandy template decimated by my CSS. I assume this is some sort of caching problem.

Is there something about my server that might be causing all this insanity? Bear in mind that I had this entire site working under WAMP - I'm simply trying to transfer.

PLEASE HELP!!
Thanks!

Moose

19 February 2009 at 11:42pm

PS: just to be certain that the problem didn't lie with the specifics of my theme I downloaded the latest theme from your 'Extensions' area and tried changing to that theme without success. Blank pages once again.

Moose

21 February 2009 at 12:28am

Reading through this post i realise that my tone may have descended into the derogatory. I didn't intend that - I was just getting frustrated. I'm sure the problem is just some minor issue w.r.t. the Linux hosting - any ideas where i could start looking?