Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Installing SilverStripe /

Getting SilverStripe up and running on your computer and on your web server.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

2.3.1 install file broken

Go to End

19 Posts   8763 Views

RonG

Community Member, 11 Posts

31 March 2009 at 11:29pm

Thanks for this topic.

Downloaded version 2.3.1 of SilverStripe this morning and have been struggling with this installation issue. Solution in this topic solved the problem.

Can't this fix be 'announced' outside the forum, so everybody downloading 2.3.1 is aware of this and not waste time finding out the problem/possibly solution themselves?

smordi

9 Posts

4 April 2009 at 8:23pm

Hi,

I also get this error after installing wamp and putting SS into www I opened the URL http://localhost/silverstripe/install.php.
Then the error appeared:
Parse error: parse error in C:\wamp\www\silverstripe\sapphire\dev\install\config-form.html on line 178

Changed the code in lines 62 and 63 as described above to:
... 'blackcandy') {?php >checked="checked"<?}?> ><label for="BlackCandy"> ...
... 'tutorial') {?php >checked="checked"<?}?> ><label for="EmptyTemplate" ...

But still I get the same parse-error, only in a different line:
Parse error: parse error in C:\wamp\www\silverstripe\sapphire\dev\install\config-form.html on line 62

Are there any suggestions how to fix it?

Thanks in advance! :-)

smordi

9 Posts

4 April 2009 at 9:37pm

ok, got it ... sometimes it makes sence to read more exactly ;-)

chrisgill

Community Member, 8 Posts

5 April 2009 at 2:46am

Am I understanding this right?

This problem was discovered on 21 March, and two weeks later hasn't been put right in the download?

Meanwhile, in other parts of the forum people are struggling to help people like me who are struggling to get SS working. Amazing. And enough to put many of us off this system.

Chris

Carbon Crayon

Community Member, 598 Posts

5 April 2009 at 3:23am

I agree it should have been fixed in the download.

I believe the feeling was that because it's a setting in the users PHP.ini file, the release is not technically 'broken' and so the fix was added to the upcoming release.

Anyway yes I can understand how it could put people off, but believe me it's worth persevering because SS really is a great system to work with :)

chrisgill

Community Member, 8 Posts

5 April 2009 at 7:13am

Aram:

I dare say it is a great system. But having got over this problem I now have another, on which I have started another thread - the CMS doesn't recognise the admin email address ...

I'll persevere a while longer.

Chris

Horse1Asia

Community Member, 1 Post

13 April 2009 at 1:27pm

I agree, this should have been fixed or some sort of notice put up warning about it. If a new user tries SilverStripe and can't even get it to install properly right off the bat I think they'll try another cms and not come back. Having to dig around the forums for possible solution for this sort of thing only made my experience with SilverStripe an exercise in frustration.
But anyways, thanks for posting a solution here.

greeng33k

Community Member, 1 Post

23 April 2009 at 2:53pm

I hate for my first post to be negative, but this is still apparently an issue. I wasted several hours of otherwise productive time trying to wrangle an apparently broken CMS onto a new web host whose configuration I was unfamiliar with. I did not get any errors initially, so I did not know where to start troubleshooting, all I got was a blank page. It turned out that this particular fix got me up to an installer screen, which is farther than I have gotten since I started this install 2 days ago. I very nearly gave up on Silverstripe before I could even start, and that's not a very auspicious start to what appears to be a promising application.

This has been an issue since March 21. Any possibility of a sticky, or a note, until this gets fixed?