Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Installing SilverStripe /

Getting SilverStripe up and running on your computer and on your web server.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Microsoft IIS 6.0 Install Issue

Go to End

7 Posts   3549 Views

Vantageous

Community Member, 2 Posts

15 April 2009 at 10:07pm

I'm trying to install SilverStripe-v2.3.1.tar.gz on a hosted (shared) windows environment but im having no luck.
If I leave the .htaccess file I get the following message and then it dies.

"Installing SilverStripe...

I am now running through the installation steps (this should take about 30 seconds)

If you receive a fatal error, refresh this page to continue the installation
# Creating 'assets' folder...
# Creating 'mysite/_config.php'...
# Creating '.htaccess' file...
# Building database schema..."

If I remove the .htacess file it wont install at all. I thought Windows servers don't need .htaccess files?

Anyway I've installed Silverstripe on 10 other occasions with no problems - except they were all Linux boxes and I have no option but to use Windows for this install.

If it helps the url is:
http://d1217-1.mysite.westnethosting.com.au/empireclinic.com.au/cms/install.php

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance

david_nash

Community Member, 55 Posts

17 April 2009 at 12:36pm

Hi Vantageous

Is that all you see? Does it give you any error messages?

I don't think it's anything to do with the .htaccess, I would leave it there.

I'm trying to install on IIS6 too and having similar problems. It gets to "building database schema" and then says this:

Notice: Undefined index: url in e:\inetpub\esvc0010\silverstripe\sapphire\dev\Debug.php on line 309

Notice: Undefined index: REQUEST_URI in e:\inetpub\esvc0010\silverstripe\sapphire\dev\DebugView.php on line 72
[User Error] DB::connect: Not passed a valid database config
Line 66 in e:\inetpub\esvc001058\silverstripe\sapphire\core\model\DB.php

When I look at mysite/_config.php instead of the $databaseConfig array it just has a $database string, but maybe that was changed from 2.3.0 to 2.3.1.

... will keep trying I guess ... IIS sucks, hey? ;-)

david_nash

17 April 2009 at 1:00pm

Okay, I had a look at the mysite/_config.php on an installed 2.3.1 and it's similar to the _config.php in 2.3.0. I found this page:

http://cubiksoundz.blogspot.com/2008/12/tech-note-installing-silverstripe-cms.html

Which is sort of helpful... and talks about a similar error.

Do you get a warning about not being able to unlink mysite/_config.php?

If I manually upload a _config.php with the correct $databaseConfig it still doesn't work - now it complains about not being able to connect to mysql on localhost, when I have already set it to NOT use localhost.

Vantageous

Community Member, 2 Posts

20 April 2009 at 3:34pm

Thanks for your replies David.

I checked that link but unfortunately I'm on a shared server and can't install any third party add-ons.
My hosting provider also got back to me and said that they use "ISAPI rewrites" and don't support "mod_rewrites".
Now im on the hunt to see if i can get around this "rewrite" issue.

IIS does suck :-)

david_nash

20 April 2009 at 7:41pm

I'm on a shared server too, and close to getting my client to switch hosts. I think I got it installed but now nothing happens, and I think it's because of the URL rewrites.

One thing that seemed to make the install work was giving all silverstripe IUSR access. I don't understand IIS permissions but apparently PHP doesn't use the permissions of IIS, it has its own user... I think :)

Sigurd

Forum Moderator, 628 Posts

21 April 2009 at 2:22pm

You might wish to try a webhost with IIS 7 so that you can use the URL Rewriter.
You may also wish to use the Web PI installer - see recent blog post - but I doubt a web farm will have that set up.

david_nash

21 April 2009 at 3:21pm

Thanks Sigurd. Yes it looks like we're going to change hosts. The current host wants $300+/month AUD for hosting on a IIS7 server - so I think we'll swap to a Linux shared host for around $10/month and everything will be good :-)