Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Installing SilverStripe /

Getting SilverStripe up and running on your computer and on your web server.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Adding module folders breaks site on addon domain

Go to End

3 Posts   2653 Views

MartinPhone

Community Member, 57 Posts

21 April 2009 at 9:14am

I made a little site for a friend:

lifeisforlivingwell.co.uk

She then wanted another - and the hosting package she had allowed another database and add-on domains, so,

tian-garden-acupuncture.co.uk was made, it points to an ss installation in a folder situated like so:

public_html/tian-garden-acupuncture.co.uk/ on lifeisforlivingwell.co.uk

and everything seemed to be working fine, without any .htaccess fun (ie, rewritebase is just /).

But I just tried to install the newsletter module, and while it worked fine on my local copy, it breaks the live site, with an error that says

"Website Error
There has been an error

The website server has not been able to respond to your request."

This happens even without trying dev/build and happens regardless of which module I try (have tried blog, userforms and newsletter. I can't actually try to build as it returns the same error. It just happens as soon as I upload the module folders to the root (which, by the way, it took me overly long to find particularly clear and detailed instructions for installing modules).

I'm thinking it's a .htaccess issue but am not quite sure what I should be doing to it as I'm just learning! Can anyone help?!

MartinPhone

22 April 2009 at 11:04am

Edited: 22/04/2009 11:04am

(Just in case it is thought that this is solved due to a comment i made in another thread, this is still an issue - modules all work fine on my local server (without add-on domains).)

MartinPhone

10 May 2009 at 4:22am

Just for information's sake - I had similar problems with another site - seems that if you try to install both the newsletter and userforms modules at the same time ie upload both folders at once (as they are both required, you'd think this'd work, no?) then it breaks. I did newsletter first and then userforms and seems to be happy. To save someone else the headscratching, it may be worth stating somewhere that modules must be installed individually?