Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Installing SilverStripe /

Getting SilverStripe up and running on your computer and on your web server.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Installing on Snow Leopard

Go to End

2 Posts   2028 Views

Bruce B

Community Member, 164 Posts

16 September 2009 at 6:17pm

If you use a Mac as your development machine, sometime soon you will probably install Snow Leopard. Set aside a day for the resulting PHP and MySQL issues. Some people report no issues with moving to Snow Leopard, so you may be lucky. I do not use MAMP, so I can't comment on that route

The good news is that it comes with PHP 5.3 including GD so you can use the standard PHP. The bad news is that you will need to reinstall MySQL. This means moving your data from the previous version to the new one. See Marc Liyanage's web site if you haven't done this before:
http://www.entropy.ch/software/macosx/mysql/

It was all working for me until I tried to import an SQL file from a Linux production server - it just would not work. In the end the fix was to add the following line to etc/my.cnf:
lower_case_table_names = 2

This is supposed to be the default in Mac OS X but went it astray somewhere. (either because of the Snow leopard upgrade, or my earlier attempts to 'fix' the problems.)

Hope this helps other Mac/SilverStripe users.

Patrick Arlt

Community Member, 15 Posts

22 September 2009 at 3:26pm

I can report that MAMP works perfectly on Snow Leopard at least for me. So if you do choose to go the MAMP route you are set.