Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Installing SilverStripe /

Getting SilverStripe up and running on your computer and on your web server.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Capistrano deploys - no remote install needed?

Go to End

2 Posts   2371 Views

Dave L

Community Member, 60 Posts

22 September 2009 at 1:00am

Edited: 22/09/2009 1:02am

Hi,

I've installed SilverStripe and DB on my local machine, and deployed the files via Capistrano to a remote server, together with a database dump from dev and restore to the remote db. Everything is working fine but I am wondering - am I missing out on anything by not running the install directly on the remote machine? I.e. special apache configs or anything? Or are remote "cold" deploys via SVN and DB to a virgin apache/php/mysql enabled server fine?

Cheers

bummzack

Community Member, 904 Posts

22 September 2009 at 1:46am

I don't know what Capistrano is, but usually copying over the local files and restoring the DB is all you need to do to migrate from a local install to another server (if it's apache => apache). SilverStripe doesn't mess with apache configs (that won't work with most shared hosters anyway), it relies on the .htaccess file to configure url rewrites.
Other than that, you have to edit _config.php accordingly and run a /dev/build?flush=all after migration to be on the safe side.