Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Installing SilverStripe /

Getting SilverStripe up and running on your computer and on your web server.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Feedback first time install

Go to End

2 Posts   1440 Views

Standart

Community Member, 1 Post

14 November 2009 at 1:10pm

Hi!

I just installed SilverStripe for the first time and wanted to give some feedback. I guess this is not the perfect place but unfortunately I couldn't find anything else to give feedback. So this is my first thing: Give people a way to give feedback.

The install process went smoothly and I could find all the information I needed. It was also very easy. But I had one usability issue with the layout of the installation screen. I was not sure about the "steps", where I was and what would be next. Major confusion was the placement of the button to proceed which is somewhere at the top but not at the very top of the form/page. I scrolled down to read and check everything and I expected a kind of "next" button at the bottom.

Second, I don't like that it is recommended to remove the install dir after the installation process. I think that it is a problem if you want to put your source tree under version control, for instance. There are a lot of similar web apps that do this smarter (i.e. Drupal).

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

14 November 2009 at 1:28pm

Welcome to the community!.

I think that it is a problem if you want to put your source tree under version control,

This is sort of a non issue in SilverStripe as you don't *need* to run the installer on any other machine. All the installer does is create the .htaccess file, create a _config file and check the server for requirements. I guess checking the live server for requirements would be handy but once you have created the .htaccess and config file and those are in your source tree then that major part of the installer is no longer required. I believe someone is looking at having the installing functionality baked into the core rather then having it as a file sitting outside the silverstripe code (as it is now).

but unfortunately I couldn't find anything else to give feedback.

Feedback is usually best started on the forum so you're in the right place. You can also open issues such as bugs or feature requests on the bug tracker open.silverstripe.org. Ideally feedback is best discussed with members and the community before it gets implemented as it gives everyone to give their 2 cents.