Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Installing SilverStripe /

Getting SilverStripe up and running on your computer and on your web server.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Database issue, developed site on Windows, deployed to *nix.

Go to End

4 Posts   2755 Views

patrik

Community Member, 9 Posts

19 November 2009 at 4:11am

Hi,

First of, pardon me for my bad English...

I'm usually developing my Silverstripe applications on windows, and i always hosting them on different Linux distributions.

The problem is that since Windows is not case sensitive the database tables all becomes lowercased. Then when i deploy to the Live servers all data is gone.

That is because:

1) All imported tables containing data is lowercased.
2) Mysql on linux is case sensitive on table names.
3) Silverstripe uses camelcased database tables.

Currently i'm using an ugly skript where i have two databases, one with the /dev/build created database and one with the lowercased, imported data. The script then compares those two, renaming the lowercased tables to uppercased versions taken from the tables created from the dev/build.

But this is getting really annoying, especialy on shared hosts, where you don't have direct shell access and can do the procedure quickly, but have to do everything in some kind of web admin.

I'm sure im not the only one having this issue.

How does the rest of the Silverstripe community deploy sites developed on Windows to *nix servers?

FullWebService

Community Member, 38 Posts

19 November 2009 at 4:31am

Hi Patrik,

There is a ticket about this very issue: http://open.silverstripe.org/ticket/2476

The solution provided works great for me and with the upcoming 2.4 release this shouldn't be an issue anymore (yay!).

Hope it helps.

JuLo

Community Member, 37 Posts

25 November 2009 at 3:49am

Edited: 25/11/2009 3:49am

I'm fairly new to this thing, but had the same problem.

The fix offered in ticket 2476 almost works, but I had to manually rename the table Permission and the table Member, before it can go through and "repair" all the tables.

Thought I'd put it out there in case someone had the same issue. (or someone wants to reopen the ticket and add these two tables; although I don't know why they are not included in the other loop)

JuLo

Double-A-Ron

Community Member, 607 Posts

26 November 2009 at 9:13am

http://doc.silverstripe.org/doku.php?id=installation-on-windows-wamp

Item #6. Make sure you do this before you next SS installation on WAMP.

Aaron